Trial fit Questions

MGD72Monte

I'm putting the gears back in the diff (this is my old set 8.2" OEM with new bearings). To check all the specs, I installed the pinion without the crush sleeve and using my old pinion head bearing holowed out for easy removal, same shim. I torqued the pinion nut down to get about 20-25in.lbs rotational torque. I find that the rolling is rather choppy, it takes about 140in.lbs breakaway to get it turning then it goes down to 20-25 if you keep it spinning. It's not silky smooth turning like it was when I took it appart it seems. Is that normal? Is it maybe because I have old bearings on new races?

I dropped the carrier in, I think it went in way too easy, I've read you have to force it in. The carrier shims (same ones reinstalled - only one per side and fairly thick) can be spun by hand in the case, so I'm thinking the carrier preload is not enough I'll be looking to add some shims that came with my diff kit. Too bad they don't mark the size of the shims, I'm hoping they are stacked in order with two of each size?

I checked the backlash quickly in several locations, I'm getting between 9.5 - 11.5 thousands. Before disassembly I was getting about 11 but only measured it in one location.

Input welcome.

Thanks