Gas Tank Restoration/Modification

Carla's King

So the day before yesterday, I found a leak in my gas tank. After a lot of attempts to repair it, I finally used a 2 part silicone sealant to get me from my fiancee's, back home to my work shop. After dropping the gas tank, and regretting that offroading I did last week.

But none the less I found the culprit.

2i73cq0.jpg

Prior to my discovery, there was a 1/4in thick piece of plastic that had been heated put then pushed into the hole and then feathered around to look like a small disk. I thought it was a bad welding job, but came to learn it was MUCH MUCH worse. So since I got the tank out, and am covered in gasoline, I am sanding down the whole tank, filling in the dents and other fractures with Quick Steel, Metal Epoxy. Then I'll cover it with black enamel primer. Wet sand it, add a black base coat. Then tape off certain sections and pieces, and spray some chrome spray paint on the uncovered sections.

I know, I know, my fiancee called me an idiot for painting my gas tank. But honestly I want her pretty from license plate to license plate and I won't feel happy knowing my undercarriage looks like crap-o-la, when the rest of her is beautiful. So call me whatever you like. But tell me how many others have their gas tank painted? I have A LOT more documented pictures that'll be attched but first I needa get finished and then ill make a photobucket and upload them to my photobucket account.

Let me know what your thoughts and opinions are.

Don't waste your time on this old beat up tank..is this post before or after you found the Chevelle tank?

In any case...spend the $160 and buy a new tank..... it's well worth it in your time and effort to "maybe" fix this one....

My 2 cents,

Steve

Hey Monteman thanks for the input. I repaired the tank yesterday. Cost me about 10 bucks. I know I need a new tank, and I have the intention of replacing it. A buddy of mine is going to school at UTI and is taking a custom auto body class in 3 months, I'm paying him $100 and sendind him an old bottom rusted monte carlo tank. He agreed to make me a brand new tank that is up to specs, and modified to fit 25 gallons vs the standard 20 gallon. He's custom making straps for the tank and dropping it about 4-5inchs deeper. The straps will have a piece of sheet metal spanding across it to protect the tank since its deeper than normal. All the components are going to be custom. From the 2 long mounting bolts, to the 2 straps. This repaired tank is only temporary and will be sold once I get the other one in about 4-5 months.

This post is AFTER I found the chevelle tank. I intend to clean up and repair the chevelle tank, and sell it to either my buddy luis who owns a chevelle parts store, or on craigslist.

Do you think a larger tank will cause any problems? Or do you think I'm better off just buying a regular tank?

Lol just take a look at your gas tank next time your with your car, and think about what it would look like color matched to your cars paint. Along with the rest of your undercarriage. I think a lot of people forget about the under carriage of their car.

sorry if my previous post sounded rude, I forget internet sarcasm doesn't translate well...

On another note here is a before and after picture...

Before...

fuxiyw.jpg

Yea nasty, I know

After...

vzc8lz.jpg

What do you guys think? Can you even tell where the hole was previously?