Quadrajet stumble

AndyBill402

At one time I knew the answers to this. I've got an Edelbrock Q'jet on my 72 Monte. It has a 383 stroker motor with a mild cam. It bogs down just off idle. It's just enough of a hesitation to annoy me. Now I know why some people refer to the Q'jet as the "Quadrabog". Otherwise the car seems to run fine. It's the only Q'jet I've ever had with this issue. How do I fix it?

Hmmm... when I had a Qjet I had the same issue... could be a few things, but this one is easy:

Check the accelerator pump shot (with the engine off). Move the throttle fully two times while watching the carb. If you don't get TWO good squirts when pulling the throttle open, the pump cup is likely bad, and not refilling the pump shot reservoir.

Also, it should be "squirting" as soon as you move the throttle, if there is any "lag" in when you move the throttle and the pump shoots fuel, than that is causing the bog... as you are not getting a fuel shot in time to help the idle circuit transition to the main jets.