obtaining the 3 leveller parts for a 71

Capri's 71 SS

OK, so how hard is it going to be to find those 3 parts I need to put the leveller system back on my Monte? Hubby has to double check but I believe all 3 parts are gone and I want my car to have exactly what it had in 1971.....I saw that one item on ebay for $150 but if we bought it (ouch $$), I would still need the rest...any chance of finding the other original pieces?

Gee, did that make ANY sense at all or did I totally sound like a girl? shocked

That price is a little to much, you can find the items used. Maybe check with Leo. I may be getting another 71 SS next week for parts, if I do will let you know cool Ron

It may not be worth your trouble to make it a working air leveling system again. I believe only a handful of the FGMCC members have functioning setups. You might be better off just getting all of the missing pieces and have a present, but non-functioning, load leveling system.

I'm betting your car still has the shock protector plates and might still have the air lines, but probably doesn't have the air leveling tank, the brackets for the tank, or the load leveling switch. Also, I'm not sure where you would go to get the shocks you need for this system. I had an NOS set of rear shocks, but they were installed on the '70 SS I sold to Vaughn and finding any more of them will be difficult at best. There may be other shocks out there that could be made to work with the load leveling, though. Try eBay or try Leo, but the stuff isn't cheap anymore and can be a real pain to get it to work.

Nate,

I agree I would feel just fine having the parts present but it not necessarily be working.

I just want my car to be what it is suppose to be as much as possible.

Thanks!

Capri

It is going to cost some cash to get the parts frown

The shocks you can find used on e bay sometimes for 50 to 100 bucks.

The compressor you can find on e bay sometimes for 125.00 to 250.00 depending on what people are willing to pay that day. If you find one with brackets expect to pay over 500.00 the brackets are the hardest parts to get. I saw one set sell for over 600.00 just for the brackets.

The rear control arm switch on e bay is about right at 150.00

You can use standard air shock tubing for your connections, look for black.

You will also need a vacuum t for the compressor hook up.

There is a member here named Bob his displayed name is last ss If you contact him he may be able to help you out with some of the parts.

I have everything but the brackets for my car. I'm searchin, I spoke to another member who said he could make them for 150.00 but I havent heard back from him, I'll keep you posted on that.

I will not make mine function but I want it to look like it does.

Good Luck, Darrell

I've got a 70SS that I would be willing to part with the switch above the axle. I've had my car for over 30 years and like a dumb kid in 1976-77 I used to take it to the drag strip on Sundays and was always looking to get rid of weight. One of the first things to go was that compressor thing on the fender well that didn't work. The switch is still there with most of the air line. I'm doing a total resto on it now and a new compressor is not in the plan.

I live between Columbus and Marysville. I'd take $50 plus shipping. I see there is a compressor with brackets on e-bay. Just listed, at a low bid for now. I'm leaving for vacation Sunday. I'll take it off and email you a photo late next week.

FB: I still do not know for sure what I need - my husband has to double check to see which parts are there & which are missing.

Check back after you return from vacation unless I find out sooner....Thanks!

Capri

I know how these cars will eat you up. I haven't drove mine for about 20 years but have moved it from 4 different houses in 3 different states and it always gets a spot in the garage. Drives my wife crazy. I've always known it was an SS since I am the 3rd owner and know the 1st and 2nd owners. During my rebuild I did find both build sheets. The one under the gas tank was in bad shape but the one under the back seat is in good shape and now framed in my home office.