lift/duration of ss454 camshaft

anyone know the stock lift/duration of a stock 70ss454 cam. i removed my heads to for a redo ,and im more than likely going to replace cam ,lifters and timing chain. thanks gene

The stock cam should be:

PN 3883986

lift 0.460 inch intake, 0.488 inch exhaust

Duration 213 degree intake, 217 degree exhaust

Hydraulic lifters and the profile was the same for 1966-69 427 390hp, 1966-1970 396 350hp, 1966 396 360hp, 1970 454 360hp and 1971 454 365 hp.

Hey Hey

Can I use that cam in my 402 I am not sure what head I have but I do know they are in the middle not the smallest vavles and not the real Hi po heads in the middle lol

Dave

The numbers are out of GM parts data, they don't specify anything other than what I posted. If you buy that part number cam from Chevy you are supposedly getting the "factory correct" cam for the application.

dropped of my heads yesterday at the machine shop,the dude wanted to know what type of cam i was putting back in it so he could check the springs to the cam.i said i thought about buying the gm version for 145.00 for the cam only.he shook his head and recommended the summit cam with lifters for 80 bucks.almost the same cam.so i drove down to summit today and spent a few hundred. gene

Hey Hey

Gene How about some part numbers it's sounds like you are doing the kind of build up I am doing. My block is in the shop getting bored 40 over and the crank was turn down to were it was good (don't know what size that is yet I was hoping to get it today but no luck next week sometime after the snow the shop said the same thing that when I am ready to do the heads I should know what cam I am going to use so he know what spring to use when he does the heads

Dave

BB

Hey "DataDave", go to www.summitracing.com you can register your car, then look for parts specific to your car/engine, you can also e-mail tech support and they'll suggest parts to you within 24hrs or so, finally you can call them, they have a good variety of parts and great prices, fast delivery too and only $8 handling for normal size shipments (no shipping charges).

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Dave

hey dave, i went with the summit k1300. 82.00 for cam and lifters.(MADE BY CRANE PER THE PARTS GUY) 208/210 DURATION AND 475/500 LIFT .the machine shop said that would work out good with my stock convertor,or he i could go one step higher for a bumpdy bumpdy sound.i dropped the rest of the motor off today .nice honest machine shop,told me he would take it apart and give me a list and i could run down to summit and buy there stuff and he would install it .saving me a few bucks. gene