Passenger seat sensor location?

Malyc

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could tell me where the sensor is in the passenger side of the front bench seats... The seatbelt reel on that side no longer shuts off the buzzer if anyone is buckled in on that side, and I don't have the money to replace it, so I was going to remove the sensor in the seat until I am able to replace that, but can't find the dang thing... It makes it so I don't want to drive the car if there's a possibility of having a passenger.

Thanks for your help!

It is a white plastic and matal strap located within the springs below the front seat passenger. To remove it, you will have to take the seat bolts/nuts loose and tip the seat back to get under there. You may opt to just unplug it and leave it there until you repair the retactor. The two wire plug runs up from a split in the carpet on the right side.

Will unplugging it work? There was a connector I could reach down there, but when I disconnected it and put the car in drive (Engine off and E-brake on), the buzzer was on constantly...

The piece under the passenger’s seat is a simple switch. The weight of a person sitting on the seat flexes the plastic strap allowing the two strips of metal to contact each other completing the circuit. By connecting the seat belt it breaks the ground circuit for the buzzer shutting it off.

During your test:

1. Was your door open? This will cause it to buzz as well.

2. Was there a person on the passenger side? If not it would not have affected your test. If so, did they have the belt on?

3. Did you have the driver’s side belt on? There is no switch on the driver’s side. The theory is that if the engine is running and the car is in drive, there will be a person in the diver's seat. Therefore, no switch is necessary. If the car is running in drive and no one is in the diver's seat you have bigger things to worry about than a buzzer.

4. Has something happened to the retractor on the driver’s side? Both retractors can supply the ground necessary to complete the circuit. You may want to check your side as well.

5. Lastly, you can also try un-plugging the connector on the neutral start switch on the column down by your brake pedal. It will have a yellow wire with a black stripe and a black wire.

One more thing... This is a safety device that was installed to help keep you safe. You should make all efforts to insure it’s in good working order to protect yourself and your passengers as soon as possible.

1: I think the passenger door may have actually been open... Will have to try again with it closed.

2: When it first started, there was a passenger. During the test, there was not.

3: Didn't have the car running because that's a good way to wreck it, but yes, the driver's side belt was on.

4: Driver's side retractor works fine, because I only have the problem with a passenger.

5: Will try that if the other ones fail.

Understood, and I always make sure my passenger is wearing their belt. Particularly because I think the ticket for that is up to around 100+ now...

Alright, testing with the door closed and the sensor disconnected did stop the annoying buzzer. Driver's side belt was buckled and I was on the passenger side with the E-brake set and engine off.

Anyone know someplace I can get a new or good condition retractor for a good price?