Carburetor - Rebuild

NewTimer

On the 86 SS it came with a CCC Carb(computer controlled). Well the plan is to get rid of the computer with all the emissions controls and install a regular carb. I live outside of city limits and do not need to pass emissions anyways.

To do the conversion I know I will need a vacuum advance dis, maybe a new intake, and a lock up kit for the 200r4.

I was planning on using the stock Qjet from the 72. Debating whether I should rebuild it or not. SO my real question is, is there anything I should be aware of when rebuilding the stock Qjet? Carb was completely functional and working perfect prior to removing it.

don't forget if you go to an older Qjet you need to change throttle arm to a late model one so you can hook up the TV cable with correct fitting & cable lenght & geomerty or you bun up tranny. Bob

Q-jets are very temperamental. If it has been stored in a good area with no contaminants falling into it, and the gas drained before being stored, you could try it out.

On another hand, I ALWAYS rebuild a carb before throwing it on. ESP if it has been sitting for a while, or you have no idea where it came from. Gas can sit in the bottom and turn into a dust like substance and clog it up within the first few miles. Rebuilding them are not that easy with the choke linkage placement as well as all of the other mechanical rods.

The accelerator pumps like to catch on the spring and be destroyed if not installed, or lubricated properly beforehand. and make sure you get the lean out screws that protrude from the carb since using the special tool is a pain in the butt on your car.

As for intake, you might have to switch it to use the choke, I think thats it. Everything else should just bolt up.

And then the last advise, dont use a q-jet. Many people like them, many people hate them. Im stuck in the middle. You can craigslist a edelbrock or holley for decently cheap and they are easier to rebuild, find cheaper parts, and they are more tuneable to what you want to do as in gas saving or track racing with a 5 minute jet and rod change.

Just my 4 cents