Temp sensor

Philthy1969

Ok guys, dumb question here. I am adding aftermarket gauges to my 1970 Monte Carlo with a small block. I would like to keep the idiot light, so was looking for an alternate location for the temperature sensor. Plus the hole in the manifold is too big for the aftermarket sensor. It appears the sensor for the idiot light is in the intake manifold. I remember on my 69 Chevelle I placed the aftermarket sensor in the driver side head, not in the manifold. On the Monte it looks like the header flange is blocking that location. There does appear to be a hole in the flange on both sides of the engine, but the gasket is covering up what is behind the hole. Before I go cutting up the gasket I wanted to see if anyone knew there was an option to mount it there. I really don't want to pull the header to find out, so hopefully I can just cut the gasket away. The passenger side is actually easier to get to...is there an option to put the sensor there? Any help you guys can provide is appreciated.

Did some research and forgot that the previous owner had put camel hump heads on the car. The heads that he installed do not have a provision for a temp sensor frown

Looks like I will need to find some kind of fitting to adapt from the large stock sensor to the smaller aftermarket one. The idiot light will have to go unused.