Need Help

stickshift

Hey guys,I have another Problem with my engine swap, The old high torque starter that was on my small block is too big. My mechanic put a regular stater on but it lived a short life (like one day). I went to NAPA Auto Parts and told the salesman at the counter that a needed a high torque mini starter for a 72 Monte Carlo with a 454 big block. He sold me a high torque mini starter (straight bolt pattern) but it does not fit. Should I have specified that my car is a four speed and that it has headers? Exactly what type of mini starter should I ask for?

You probably will have a tough time getting an aftermarket mini starter at local parts stores. I run one of these jegs starter

My Pickup with the 8.1 big block uses a factory style mini starter, but it has an offset pattern that most large flywheel starters have from the factory NAPA lists a few here is one, NAPA starter Is there any reason that you can't use the offset pattern? Most factory style straight patterns are for the 153 tooth fly wheel.

I ran into the same problem on my small block. I have Dart heads and the centerline of the exhaust ports are slightly higher than others. After talking with Mike57 about this I bought a starter for a 1996 Silverado 2500 with the 7.4l through my local auto parts. Fit perfectly above the headers.

Most auto parts stores don't allow returns on electrical parts but you may be able to ask them if you could test fit one with the ability to return it should the clearance not be right.