Are vortec's REALLY worth it?

kc8oye

It all depends on your situation, when I built my first budget engine, it was a 350 with 305 heads (more compression 58 CC these su### for top end) and an old z-28 intake. So any way when I decided to re-build the engine some years ago.... I decided to go with the vortec heads because I new I had to upgrade the heads on a budget plus replace the old early 70's intake (way out dated for the newer cams / carbs etc.) I got lucky and bought a set of vortec heads a guy had just re-built, yeah I had to put stiffer springs in and guide plates etc. But it fit my budget perfectly..... a hard running engine with plenty of low end torque to acomodate the 3:31 gears..... I'm very pleased with the performance for the $$$$$$..... now if I was shooting for an 10 / mid 11 sec car I would have went a differnt direction...... but that's just wasn't in my budget again it all depends on the situation. Oh and FYI if I would let some vortec gurus port / polish my heads I could get into the mid 12's pretty easy........ but that's just more $$$$$$$$

But for now I'm happy with it.......... 500 + passes not counting the illegal ones laugh and it's still running strong !!!!

KNOCK ON WOOD !!!!!!!! lollol

Undeniably the best bang for the buck head offered for a chevy at this time. Just look at Robyn's car for an easy example. He has NOTHING extreme at all, good cam choice, a little stall, a little gear, and vortecs on a 350. If I pulled up to the line against him and didn't know what I know, I'd laugh at him! Then I'd crap in my pants as he kept up with my Big Block! It's all about matching your combo and getting parts that work. Do some searching, there are good and bad years for the vortecs I believe, Don has discussed them before.

I think the vortecs are good because of the amount of time that has gone into the R&D for their flow, much like the newer cams like Comp's Extreme Energy, and Lunati's Voodoo series are so good because their ramps and profiles have been tweaked and perfected so much that they perform better than an older cam with the same basic specs.

The proof is in the yellow puddin'! lol

I would say they are only worth it if you can get some cores cheap.

I did everything that article said and got a fat machine shop bill. I had screw in studs, milled the guides, pushrod guideplates so I could use regular rockers, new springs, etc.

I probably could have bought new complete heads for a little more....

I didn't get quite the performance Ol' Yeller gets. I ran 13.30's at 103 in an 85 Monte with 3.73s and 200R4 (XE 274 cam).