400 BBC

Chevyss

What years did they make a 400 BBC? I bought a 68 K10 pick-up and was told it was a 396 but the numbers on the block indicate that it's a 400 BBC. There isn't a whole lot of difference. Camshafts would be all the same for BBC, right? As far as fitment.

yep, camshaft are all the same. There's a big difference between a 396 and 454, so the grind is different, but they all interchange. They all run the same cylinder head also, and the 396 has huge valve area for its' displacement, where the 454 doesn't breathe as freely with those same heads because it has more displacement.

The cams from all the MkIV big-blocks interchange, but the engine needs are different.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided not to put a cam in the Monte. I just purchased a 68 K-10 Pick-up with a BBC in it and it just idles to smooth. I want to get a little bit of a lumpy cam for it. This a 396 with a 375 HP intake and a 750 Holley on it. It's an automatic and I have no idea what the convertor is. Just want to be able to hear the engine run. Thanks for suggestions.

I've got to get the casing numbers off the heads. Not sure what is in the engine. Rumor control says it has been gone through, what ever that means and the guy I got it from never questioned the rebuilder about support documents. Ordered the cam and lifter kit for it from Lunati. 10110702LK is the part #