1970 Bucket Seat covers - Need Help!

jgrimmy

Hi all. I'm replacing the seat covers on my 70 Monte buckets with PUI's covers.

There are two horizontal listings near the top of the seat covers that need to be hog ringed to the seat frame.

My dilemma is where exactly to cut the seat foam for these? Does anyone have any measurements that I can use to slit the foam in the correct spot?

PUI is either unwilling or unable to tell me and the seats are from a 71-72 so the old foam can't give me any clues.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm at a complete standstill until I get this figured out.

John

John, this pic shows the foam I used.

396796850.jpg

397097717.jpg

I remember I had to cut a slit for the one horizontal listing that's near the top of this piece, but I don't have any measurements. Does your cover have 2 horizontal listings?

This thread may be helpful to you.

Dan

Hey Dan thanks for the response.

There are two lists, one above the stitching and one below. The lower one goes much deeper than the upper.

seat-cover-back.jpg

Looks like the same foam I have.

After asking advice from a few upholsterers the consensus was to ignore the horizontal lists.

Your seat looks amazing! I must admit I'm having a hard time focusing on it due to the 57 with a continental kit in the background. That's my other and first love project for the last 8 years.

John

Your right Robert,

I assembled one seat back ignoring the horizontal lists and it doesn't sit quite as flat as Dan's. It really looks pretty close but it bulges out a bit in the center.

Now I've got to decide if it's worth it to take it all apart again.

John

Thanks. We're fortunate enough to have a few '57s now, and I had a '57 2dr Hardtop in high school. I remember you at chevytalk.com and your very popular rustbucket photo documentary as you did sheetmetal work. I hope you can get back to your '57 and are able to finish it sometime.

103238607.jpg

You should be able to get the measurement you need now. If I were you, I'd have to pull the cover off and use one of the listings. I'm not sure you need both of them. I got my covers from CARS Inc., and they are just like the originals I took off, 1 horizontal listing.

Sure, it'll take more time, but you'll be glad you did it.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I remember you from Chevytalk too!

The first car I drove was my uncles 57, I was stung forever by that. I bought my first 57 2 door post at 13, some 37 years ago. I've had several since but the old rustbucket is the one I'll be keeping until I assume room temperature.

Interestingly the Rally Sport Kit from Legendary does not have these listings on the seat cover. They do bow out slightly but I actually like the look.

John