Looking for swap info

amsterdam84

So I'm picking up a 454 locally some time in the next 2 weeks. It doesn't come with any brackets, accessories or mounts. It is complete otherwise pan to carb. I'm looking to mount it to my TH350.

Anyone know what I will need to make this swap happen?

I do have to replace my front springs and shocks as well as my inner fenders so this came at a good time.

Is it worth putting my stock alternator on? I have a replacement power steering pump so thats good to go though not sure if they differed from sb to bb. I would assume just brackets change.

It should be a simple swap.

It will bolt to the trans, you will need a externally balanced flexplate for a 454. Possibly a starter if yours has a small flexplate. Exhaust manifolds or headers. fan shroud for a bbc. How is your radiator? All the front mounts like you mentioned. that is off the top of my head, others can chime in.

What year 454? Is it stock?

Alternator is the same just different mount motor mounts are the same. You may need a bigger radiator. As far as the fan shroud I've heard the small block one will work with some minor mods. I haven't gotten that far yet so I can't say for sure. I didn't change my front springs and my nose still is a little to high for my liking so I'm glad I didn't go for the bb springs as I assume they would have made the front even higher.

I'm have to look again about the year. The guy I bought it from tells me it has been modified but isn't sure what's in it. It sounds stout and gets good oil pressure. Outside of that I'm not sure.

I've been meaning to find an electric fan setup from a mark iv Lincoln as they have a good stock fan shroud that pulls decent air. Would like to eliminate the pulley mounted fan system. Just getting hard to find. Radiator is a 3 core copper one though I'm not against upgrading it.

My front springs are the original ones and they sag with just the small block. I'm sure this motor has cast heads so perhaps in the future I may upgrade to aluminum.

Seems to decode as a 72-78 car or truck motor. 2 bolt.

Any thoughts on the carb and intake? I have been tempted to use a similar carb on the 350 though I think it was either a 1406 or 1407 not sure which.