Forged VS Hypereutectic

Reaper

Depends on wether or not you intend on boosting over 6 or 7 psi, or spraying it at all. If so go forged, if not the hypers will work fine.

Don

A few years back I had this chevy monza with a B&M supercharger-The engine was a reverse 383 small block {400+.060x3.48 stroke} with hypereutectic pistons. the pistons were fine untill I pushed the boost over 7 pounds then the rings butted together and pulled the top ring land off. I widended the gap several times and ended up with .050 thousands end gap and still the rings showed sings of end to end contact. since I did not have the unlimited r&d budget I went with forged and had no sign of trouble after that, even with 10 pounds of boost. Go forged. TIM

So a 550-600 hp big block should be ok with them even if I put a 177 supercharger on it? (3 pounds of boost) Thanks again. I was hoping they would be OK because the engine that my dad is giving me has them in it and I dont wanna HAVE to buy pistons....

Well if the engine is free I certainly wouldnt look a gift horse in the mouth. Three pounds? thats pretty conservitive. Those pistons will work with 5-6 pounds no problem. But keep in mind, That changing that top pulley is easy to do and power is really addictive. And that kind of addiction will lead to a high silicone content lunch for your motor and your pocket-book. TIM