dash grounding wires

Howdy folks-

I've got the dash pulled away from the firewall to do some gauge updating. Everything works but I noticed there were 2 black wires with small rings on the ends (for screws) that were not attached to anything. Now I think one was attached to the same place that the headlight switch attached to (at the end of the metal strip), the other, I'm not sure. What are the main grounding points for the gauge area of the dash? Are there any right off of the circuit board? Thanks.

Howdy

If you're talking about the metal strip that mounts on the steering column area, I think that is where the other wire goes to. There should be 2 ground wires connected there.

Honestly you don't have to connect them there, any good ground would do, it works on my dash which is not 100% assembled yet, I connected the ground wires to the metal of the firewall and all lights work. The right way per the dash assembly booklet is to connect 2 ground wires to that metal strap which comes around the column.

Hope this helps PS> YOU HAVE MAIL

Dave

eek I misunderstood you question, I didn't realize they're not attached on both ends.

As far as I remember on mine, one is from the light switch, one comes out of the main wiring and honestly I don't remember where the 3rd comes from, and I don't think the gauges had a separate negative besides the one from the plug, if they do I didn't connect it lol, now my dash is assembled but the pad is off, I'll try to find out but it might be a day or two, sorry.

"CBOLT" claims to be able to write a book about dash assembly/dissasembly he might be able to help...look him up and ask away.

• 2 months later...

one of those black wires that attaches to the back of the gauge pod, is actully the ground for the radio. (figured that one out hte hard way)

no idea wht the other two are for

I have two small black ones with rings, and one with a push-on blade type, and it's not the courtesy lamp switch on that side.. oh well, I'm ... oh.. I wonder.. if that's hwy my 4-ways don't work? lol