Steering Column

monte70car

While at spring Carlisle this year we brought a non-tilt steering column supposedly for a 72 Chevy. Went to hook the ing switch up on the column after dropping it in the 70 El Camino and found out the plug for the ign switch isn't wired right for the new ign switch so though maybe change them out one from the tilt column to the non-tilt bu that does work either as the key switch is in the run\start position instead of the lock. Looked at three brand new ign switch thinking maybe one of them would work, but still the same problem. Are the non-tilt and tilt ign switch made different? or is 72 ign switch wired differently? The tilt column has three connection facing the steering wheel purple, red, and pink, looking at the non-tilt column those connection point towards the fire wall. Also the ign switch on the non-tilt column pulls the metal rod towards the steering wheel while the tilt column push the metal rod to the fire wall is that correct?

The ignition switch is opposite between the two columns. I had the same problem on my 72 Monte. Went from a non tilt to tilt and all I had to do was turn the wiring harness 180 degrees and it worked perfectly. I thought I had the wrong switch but when I changed the switches from one column to the other it started in the off position.  Rotating the harness 180 degrees fixed me right up.