Small Block Head Question

Packratt

I am rebuilding a 355 that the cam failed in and the heads are junk. All I know about the pistons are they are thirty over KB's and the rotating assembly was balanced before it was assembled. I will have to totally tear down, clean , and re-ring the engine but want to put decent heads on it. I would go with vortec heads but the engine came with a brand new edelbrock intake that is the old style. I have found a set of new GM heads that are dirt cheap. Specs are 76cc chamber, 1.940/1.500 valves and casting number is 93438648.. They are supposed to be like the old 882 GM castings. I am shooting for about 300 hp depending on the cam I choose.

I plan to put this engine in a roller project if I find one cheap enough. My 16 year old is getting my truck this fall so I am trying to come up with a set of wheels to knock around town in.

This cast iron cylinder head is an OE-quality service replacement for all pre-1986 small block Chevy engines. It's the same head used on the Chevrolet Performance 350/290HP Engine 809-12499529 and the GM Goodwrench 350/260HP Engine 809-10067353.

That was from Jegg's. Seems very easy to buy them new, so I'd say they be a great choice for a 300 hp motor. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd still be leaning towards the Vortec's...    with everyone switching over to the LS platform, you can buy a set of rebuilt Vortecs WITH a new intake for $475 to $550.  The 882's won't come close to the power that the Vortec's are capable of.

• 2 weeks later...