Cast Iron Refinishing

I am looking for some advise on what works best to make items such as the master brake cylinder, steering box and front brake calipers look like new cast. At this point, I do not want to sand blast. What manual method works best and what should I use to preserve the results I get. I'm looking for that dark gray look.

Roger

Get an Eastwood catalog. They have all kinds of stuff to restore cad plating and everything else.

------------------

Dave Kase

"Desmo888"

'70 SS454

never heard of that one Roger. It sounds like one of those restoration secrets of a professional. I imagine there are better metods today with all the restoration tools and chemicals available. Sounds like its worth a try though!

------------------

Dave Kase

"Desmo888"

'70 SS454

POR 15 makes a paint called metal mask. It is supposed to be the same color as bare metal. I have a quart of the paint to do the same to mine but haven't used it yet. but with POR15 reputation I think it's a safe bet. check out the website www.por15.com. might have to call them directly.

Charlie

wire wheel and a rotory tool w/wire brush works great and lots of time it works for me also I use a torch it cleans all dirt and makes the paint stick for paint I went to sears and bought paint they have a big selection good luck

------------------

please restore em' and not crush em'

A wire cup brush in a drill or angle grinder is the wepon of choice here, for paint sometimes u can find cast finish spray paint at a good auto parts store, i found some that is even suposed to be brake fluid resistant........