ENGINE - Setting the Timing

As soon as I get a new tach/dwell meter and get the dwell set I will want to set the timing. According to the specs it should be set a 4 degrees before top dead center.

I cleaned off my indicator gage on the engine and noticed it has the marks but the only number it has is the "0" so there is no way of telling 4degrees. It has been a long time but if I remember correctly each hash mark is 2 degrees which would mean I need to go to the second hash mark.

Now, also on the indicator gage on the engine is the letters "A" and "R" which I assume would be "A"dvance and "R"etard. So, keeping this in mind would 4 degrees before top dead center be toward the "A" or the "R"? I would assume it would be toware the "A"dvance rather than the "R"etard.

I also thought these indicators on the engine had a saw tooth at each mark but mine has no saw tooth, only a flat side.

Rob

Rob,

You are right on the money. Each line is 2 degrees, and you want to go toward the A for advance. You say that the spec is 4 degrees BTDC, that seems really low. If you can get a dial back timing light, you can check total advance to make sure that everything is working correctly. Total may be something like 30 degrees.

One other point to mention is that if you still have a points distributor with a vacuum advance, the vacuum needs to be removed from the cannister and plugged before setting the timing. If you don't have any vacuum advance hooked up, no worries.

Charlie

You need around 35 - 38 deg total advance at or below 3500 rpms on a stock type engine for it to make power. at 30 deg total it will be sluggish and probably overheat. yes retarded timing will cause overheating just as fast as over advancing it will.

Don