INTERIOR - HELP!! Niagra Falls in my MC!!

I just discovered today during a down pour that I have a leak somewhere that allows water to flow into the front passenger side. I can reach up under the dash next to the body through a gap between the dash and interior molding and feel a flow coming through a manufactured hole about 2" in diameter and travels down behind the molding to the floor. Is there an area that is common for leaks in the '72 such as the windshield or around where the quarter panel is mounted?

Unfortunately,

this is a common problem:

Quoted from http://www.darklair.com/monte/1970-1972-faq.html

"A fourth (and particularly nasty) area that's not so noticeably is the forward passenger side floor pan area. Per my discussion with a POR (anti-rust treatment) factory rep, the GM "A" bodies had a tendency to leak water into the car at the lower windshield seal. Because this area

is covered by stainless steel trim, the leak can go unnoticed; the water

seeps down into the car (frequently in the area of the heater) and will

eventually cause the floor to rust through if not corrected. In

addition, a leaking heater core or connection can do similar damage,

though the smell of leaking antifreeze (and disappearing coolant) should

make this problem more detectable. My '71 Monte has an apparent

windshield leak, with a resultant 3" X 6" hole in the forward passenger

side floor. I've seen two '70 MCs with similar (and more extensive)

damage in the same area."

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

---------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

First off, I changed my user name to reflect my wife's and my new love for our '72 MC. It is a wonderful car and we are very happy it is in such mint condition. As for the leak, I did some search and destroy recon and found one small area of rust about 1/8th inch wide by 3" long around the bottom windshield mounting bracket (I guess that's what it is) located about 18" from the windshield right corner. Frustrated, I then took out the interior metal "roof column" trim to find the path of the stream. It looks as if the water enters through the upper right corner of the windshield area and travels down the trim to the dash and down the wall to the floor. Luckily it has been kept inside and there is little rust and only on the trim. I finally got my manuals and will use the body manual to take the exterior trim off and repair the leak. Thank GM for manuals!! and for the help from you all.

------------------

Adam

Well, I was wrong. The leak wasn't from the upper right windshield corner (it must have been an earlier one that was fixed), the water is coming in through a weld-joint right by where the front quarter panel is attached. If you follow where the windshield corner points, it is about 5" from the corner. The weld has a sealant chaulking that has cracked letting the water through. Now I have to find the right sealant to plug it up. Mystery solved!

------------------

Adam

hi Dustoff one of the products you mite look at is 3M Brushable Seam Sealer part#08656 it comes in a 1 quart can. i used it in my daughters 83 Monte 2 years ago and have had no problems . good luck. mike

they also make seam sealer in a squeeze tube.

it is 3m as well. or a product called fusor,it is as good as welding. somebody shops use instead of welding where they can.

well i was going thru some paint suplies today and found another 3M product for ya that i had forgotten. 3M # 08646 (white) Joint&SeamSealer. its in caulking tube package. i guess they must have other colors available but not sure . mike

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using a Mr. Gasket product of a black liquid rubber that seems to be doing well. Thanks for the help.

------------------

Adam