I have a 1972 monte carlo and a dilemma

Hello All.

I bought a 1972 Monte Carlo on Saturday. I love it. However, I've met my first major stumbling block.

To make a long story short, I can't open either door. The keys never worked on either door. The locks ARE NOT pushed down.

Driver side: When i push the button on the exertior handle, there is no resistance.

Passenger side: The door is locked, but the key won't work and raising the lock does nothing.

I want to be able to drive my new toy.

How can I get in my car, while minimalizing damage?

Any Advice?

If you can access a slim jim from a tow company you may get lucky hooking the lock mechanism inside one of the doors. Or try using a coat hanger and attempting to hook onto the inside door release. You may end up chewing up the weather striping around the door window assembly which is not cheap to replace. Good luck. Someone else may have a better idea.

------------------

Todd Tweed

Kamloops, B.C., Canada

ttweed@sprint.ca

What if i wear able to remove the part of the lock showing on the exterior, or the exterior door handle? Would I be able to access anything that could be helpful in releasing the door?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by this is not cbring:
What if i wear able to remove the part of the lock showing on the exterior, or the exterior door handle? Would I be able to access anything that could be helpful in releasing the door?</font>

You are not going to be able to remove part of the lock that is showing on the exterior. Trust me on that one. The best thing I can tell you is bend open a hanger or get a slim jim and try to open in from the inside.

What a mess...I will be thinking of other ways for ya.

------------------
Stella
1970 Monte Carlo (Stella's toy)
1987 IROC 305 TPI (Stella's daily)
1990 Formula 350 w/ T-Ram (Kevin's toy)
1978 Trans Am 455 (Kevin's Daily in the making)
1960 Chevrolet Biscayne (Stella's Project)
1996 Chevrolet Suburban (Kevin's Daily)

"You boys come here to race or just kiss? You want to know what I got underneath my hood?"

[This message has been edited by 70Monte355 (edited 10-15-2002).]

Welcome this is not cbring, you might want to ask this in the enterior section. I think you need to get inside to remove the door handle/panel good luck!

Have you looked at going thru the trunk, if you can get the back seat loose, if it is not bolted on. Just a thought.

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

site1100.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif

[This message has been edited by ADGTRUNKLID (edited 10-15-2002).]

The door handle is bolted in place with two 3/8th or 7/16th bolts. You will never get it off unless you have access to the inner door assy. As for the lock it has a horse shoe type clip which holds it in place. Again without access to the inside of the door it is pretty tough. You may be able to knock out the key assembly but you may damage the door. It sound like the arm from the key assembly has fallin off. You somehow have to get ahold of the little arm and pull it to release the lock on the door latch. The lock mech is on the back of the door assembly where the door latches to the door post.

eek.gif OY!!! frown.gif

well, it was real fun for the day i could get in it

lets say i manage to get inside, then what do i need to do to get the other door open?

------------------

2002 volkswagen gti 1.8T & 1972 Monte Carlo

[This message has been edited by this is not cbring (edited 10-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by this is not cbring (edited 10-15-2002).]

The back seat should be bolted down at the bottom with two bolts. So you prob won't be able to get the seat out of the way to get through that way.

Do you have AAA or know somebody that has it? Let it be their problem. That way if they mess anything up it is on them.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by this is not cbring:

lets say i manage to get inside, then what do i need to do to get the other door open?

</font>

round the bottom of the door panel is screws that hold the door on. Take all those out. Your arm Rest has 3 screws holding it in, take those out. Use a puller thing from the help section at Advanced Auto to get the clip off the window. Unscrew your door lock. Take the 2 chrome pieces off the thingy that you can use to pull the door shut (help me out here people...) and unscrew a screw that is behind each of those 2 chrome pieces. Remove the clip from the door handle and viola! It should pull right off.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 70Monte355:
Are you sure the locks aren't pushed down. Even if they don't look like it they could be.</font>

On the driver side door, it doesn't matter if the lock is up or down. Raising or pushing the lock does nothing.

On the passenger side door, I am not 100%certain if the lock is up or down.

Do you have a brick? Just kidding, Advnace Auto sells SlimJim's for $11. Sounds like I would try it on the passenger door.

Charlie

------------------

KTMC72PS1.jpg

Charlie

Pensacola, Florida

72 Monte, 2nd (and last) Owner

I used to be that AAA guy. If you CAREFULLY insert a wedge (we used those rubber door-stops from the hardware store, or wood about 1/2" max) between the window glass and the outside door panel, you should be able to actualy look into the door cavity with a good flashlight and grab the linkage with a wire or slimjim. It may take a little searching to find the right place in there to push/pull. Just be very careful: a little too much pressure on the wedge will break the window glass and then getting in will be the easy part.

I used to have to open custom cars that had shaved door handles, solenoid doors, and dead batteries!

Wallaby .. another former AAA wrecker driver and lock out pro here .Not cbring ( gonna have to find out who cbring is , Ive heard the name on other boards and it doesnt appear hes too well liked) if you can work the linkage with a slim Jim on the passenger side door you should be able to get it open. Good luck

Dan

------------------

I DO miss my 71 Monte!

• 2 weeks later...