ENGINE - What Muflers to use

I am looking to get new muflers for my 71 Monte and was wondering what everyone recomends. I know some people like flowmasters and I have heard some good things about edelbrock. Please advice.

Thanks 71 Monte J

I just put Flowmasters on mine. 2 chamber 40 series which is their street/strip muffler. If you like a deep "growl" sound you will like these! Interior noise is not bad at all as my wife and I can talk without yelling with no problems. Course this is if you have the tail pipes out to the rear bumper.

Lon

------------------

lonsig.jpg

Before you embark on Flowmaster or Dynomax, drop by your local MIDAS store (YES, MIDAS!) and check out the brand-new RAVIN high-performance mufflers, which outflow Flowmasters and Dynomax on a 350 Chevy engine. I have the RAVIN Z-33 series on my Monte and they are great. Powdercoated black, MIDAS nationwide lifetime warranty, do I have to say more?

Also check the website goravin.com for sound samples and more info....

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

---------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

Andreas, Thanks for the info I went to there site they sound good. Would you remember what you paid for them, I can't seem to find any pricing on the ravin's.

71 Monte J

I paid $210 installed for the mufflers and a H-pipe. I think only mufflers & installation was around $180.

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

---------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

[This message has been edited by Andreas (edited 06-12-2001).]

If you want some big loud sound, and don't have to worry about emmissions, I would suggest a nice set of Dynomax bullet mufflers. You lose maybe ~10-15 ft lbs down low, but mid-range and top end power grow immensely. I have old style Dynomax bullets with 2.5" mandrel bent side exit pipes, and the car idles at a nice burble and not too loud... over 2500 tho, it's damn loud and sounds great wink.gif.

I agree with buc01, I put the Flowmaster 2 chamber 40 series on mine w/full 3 inch exhuast out the back. When I put it to the floor it sounds awsome. Lose some low end but boy do you pickup mid-top end power!

I highly recommend the 2 1/2" system from Flowmaster with 40 series mufflers. It is mandrel bent to avoid kinks, has a built in H-Pipe, is Aluminized to prevent rust and sounds great! It is also pretty easy to install!

Summitt Racing runs specials on this system all the time.