Dead Monte

Gavin

Hey y'all,

A few days ago I started my Monte and let it run to get warm. Drove for a few hundred meters and the motor stopped. Nothing new really beacuse mine has the tendency to do that when it's cold. But this time I couldn't start it again. When turning the key I can hear a (I think) relayswitch clicking, but that's it. What could be wrong?

Gav

I would check to see if you had a dead cell in your battery. Often when you first start your car it will start on about 11.2 volts and not restart with just a little temperature increase at the starter solenoid. Remember the standard points type distributor is not and does not like a 12 volt charge to the points.

You might want to also check your battery cables and battery posts for bad connections and corrosion. Also you might want to check and make sure the positive battery cable is tight on the starter silenoid. Check your battery cable ground wire for tightness and make sure your getting a good ground by cleaning the contact surface and cable and retighten. Does it make a seies of clicks or just a click and nothing when you try to start the car? Do you have good power to other instruments like lights? Are they dimm or bright? If they're dim could be a grounding problem. Like said in the previous post you might just have a dead cell.

Jon.

I had that same problem with my monte earlier in the summer.. turns out I was missing one of the screws that hold the plastic cap onto the end of the starter solonoid, and the cap had split into two pieces. $10 for a new solonoid, and an extra $3 for a heat shield, and it was good as new.

------------------

'72 monte w SBC 'nuff said.

fgmccsig.jpg

I also had a problem like that with my 70 last summer and had to have a toe.it sucks seein your baby on a hook! it was just a bad battery sinse my car sits more than its on the road.

you also might want to check your alternator the diode may be bad and you also should check your voltage regulator my car did the same thing not tooo long ago it drove me crazy it turned out that the diode and volt.reg. work together if one goes out theres a good chance the other may short out