Sloppy tilt steering

The tilt column in my 70 is really sloppy and loose. Is there a rebuild kit one can get for this? I find it annoying and probly kinda dangerous too

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives (D.Ot'd finally)

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454 SOLD frown
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1981 ford f150 4x4
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)

ek_3.jpg

I had the same problem on an 83 El Camino SS. There are 4 bolts that hold that section of the Tilt -Wheel together. These bolts work loose after a while creating the slop , You just need to take the column apart & retighten the bolts , you can get to 3 of them but the 4 is almost impossible to reach. I cant really give you all the details cause I took the El Camino to a shop to have it done , expecting a long wait & expensive bill ,I was pleasantly surprised by what the guy had done . I think re tightening the bolts would be a lot easier & cheaper to do than trying to find a tilt wheel setup for a 30 year old car . Hope this helps

Dan

------------------

I DO miss my 71 Monte!

HOOTER

IF you take off the steering wheel

/ steering lock plate /turn signel

you can do it you'r self and savesome $$$$

GOOD LUCK,Chuck

------------------

chevyfreke@msn.com 0176.jpg

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">IF YOU CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DOG'S STAY ON THE PORCH</font>

http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/column/tiltcol.html this is great site with pictures of a tilt column repair. He also has a bunch of other how to's on his site. If you are like me you will spend half a day checking out his site smile.gif

Ian

------------------

frontshot1.jpg

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

Fixed it today. Took me about 15 minutes with a philips screwdriver a socket set and steering wheel puller. Thanks for the tip

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives (D.Ot'd finally)

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454 SOLD frown
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1981 ford f150 4x4
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)

ek_3.jpg

For anyone else who has this problem, it's a good idea to put a bit of red Loctite on these screws. Just remember to do them one at a time, as the springs that move the tilt are very stiff, and hard to put back in if you take the whole thing loose.

That is a great sight; I wish he went a little farther on the disassembly. I am going to pull the two side bolts, so I can get all the way down in her and replace the bearings as well. I had to order a special gm puller to get those two bolts out. Any way it is cool that someone took the time to do that right up.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iann128:

http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/column/tiltcol.html this is great site with pictures of a tilt column repair. He also has a bunch of other how to's on his site. If you are like me you will spend half a day checking out his site smile.gif

Ian

</font>

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

site1100.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by ADGTRUNKLID:
That is a great sight; I wish he went a little farther on the disassembly. I am going to pull the two side bolts, so I can get all the way down in her and replace the bearings as well. I had to order a special gm puller to get those two bolts out. Any way it is cool that someone took the time to do that right up.

Yeah he could go farther into things, but his site is one of the reasons i have done so much to my car myself. I used to work on cars for a living before I got into computers, but I still find myself second guessing weather I can do some things. Bu sites like his and this one make the difference.

Ian

------------------
frontshot1.jpg
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html