ENGINE - how to remove/replace fuel pump

I am replacing my fuel pump on my 350. This is the stock mechanical type.

Question- I know it's very easy to remove the hoses and 2 bolts that hold it on but there is a rod in there that runs off the cam. How can I put the rod back in and the

pump back on so that the pump fits flush against the block to insert the 2 bolts?

As it is now when I put the pump back up to the block the arm on the pump doesn't allow me to put the pump flush up against the black....I believe this is due to the rod and the fuel pump arm hitting???

Do I need to rotate the engine crank so that the rod is all the way up into the block?

What I normaly do is take the pump off. Then rotate the engine to where the push rod goes as far up the shaft as possible. There should be two holes around the corner on the front of the block. The top one should have a bolt in it, if not your lucky you have'nt sprayed oil all over the engine compartment. If you do, you will need to back this out some, push the rod up with your finger while you begin tightening the bolt into the hole until it butts up against the pushrod. If the pushrod slides down you need to snug it some more. Be careful not to force the bolt in! If its hard to turn, you need to clean the threads out. Any way this bolt should hold the rod while you install the pump. Is this a high volume pump? If so they are extremely hard to put in . I gave up on mine and went back to a stock pump. The springs are much more stiff on high volume pumps, at least thats what it feels like to me. Good luck and DON'T FORGET TO BACK THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE PUSHROD OUT AFTER YOUR DONE INSTALLING THE PUMP. THAT WOULD BE BAD!!!!

What I did was to coat the fuel pump pushrod with a little bit of bearing grease and then slide it in its place. Prevents the pushrod from sliding out during fuel pump installation and works like charm.

I have read this trick in an engine rebuild manual, so I guess it should be ok. Worked for me twice already... smile.gif

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

http://go.to/Monte

Member NMCOA, FGMCC

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

I think your problem is another. You think you can not put the pump against the mounting plate, right?

I have been there with a HV Fuel pump. The spring on the pump has quite some resistance, so you will have to push pretty hard on the pump to have it flush with the mounting plate. Best would be if you have someone helping you put in the bolts while you push the pump against the plate. I also had to grind a little bit off the pump to clear the front crossmember... redface.gif

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

http://go.to/Monte

Member NMCOA, FGMCC

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

The bolt that Clock is talking about in the front of engine should only be about 1/2 -3/4 inch long . if you want to try that method you will need a longer 3/8 -16 bolt to install in its place . and yes be sure to put the original one back in. good luck smile.gif mike

Grease is right here, you will need a longer bolt if you try this. I forgot to mention this because I left the longer bolt in mine. I just put thread sealer on it to leave it in there, thanks Grease.