350th kickdown problem

Howdy folks-

Every since I pulled the engine, the kickdown will not operate on my 71 350/350 setup. It's factory correct and I adjusted the linkage attatched to the intake according to the shop manual. What next???

Put the engine back in and try it wink

I wish I had a good answer for ya, I'm no tranny expert but I would start with the vacumm line for the modulator.

Did you rebuild the motor? Increase it's power?

Maybe the tranny was on the edge and the new power plant is taking it's toll on the trans........

With any luck someone who actually knows what they are talking about will have an answer for ya.

kickdown is controlled soley by the cable. Check that cable.. make sure it IS adjusted right. Mine wouldn't kick down at all either.. turns out the 'correct' way to do it.. wasn't really right for me for some reason. (wrong cable or somthing *shrug*)

I moved the throttle return springs to hold the throttle wide open and manually pulled the kick down cable out as far as it would go with vicegrips... and then adjusted the cable clamp.. and then from there fine tuned it by trial and error.

The cable must be installed in the correct position relitive to the carb. The factory bracket is best used here. It must also be the correct length for your car and engine setup. to set make sure the housing is properly snapped into the bracket, next raise the locking ring all the way up, open the carb to full throttle and hold it there while you push the locking ring down flush with the housing, be sure and hook the cable end to the carb linkage in the proper hole. That should do it.

Everything is 1971 factory correct, brackets and all. Adjusted to your method (as outlined in gm service manuals), but no go. Will try some other tinkering methods.

Just for grins, make sure your gas pedal is moving down far enough to fully engage the kickdown. If that's good sounds like possible tranny problems.

• 2 months later...

i just want to add some detail to this...

my problems were numerious

a) I was using a 700r4 TV cable (didn't know that till I took it out again when it got broken)

that throttle problem is bigger then you relize.

I couldn't figure out why mine wouldn't kick down after I put a new '72 kickdown cable for a th350 on it.. turns out that with my particular Qjet (no idea what it's from, it's a fraken-carb) to get to WOT, the cable has to pull downward as well back becuase of the arc the throttle lever travels...

I relocated my throttle cable bracket back, and down, so it can pull 'downward' slightly at full throttle.. and sure enough.. works great :0

I had to play with it to get the kickdown cable mounted correctly becuase my throttle bracket is a god-knows-what, mounted on an edelbrock performerr manifold..

• 1 month later...

I found out later on.. a bad vacuum modulator can cause no-kickdown too. my tranny was shiffting erratic.. some times I get super-early shifts.. sometimes super-late some times I get GM 'slush-o-matic' shifts.. and other times I get neck-snapping screech-bang shifts...

(if the tires don't go screech.. somthing else goes *bang*) it wouldn't kick down...

swapped in a new modulator and it drives like i would expect a tranny I built to run :P ~