Big Inch Big Block Crate Engine Suggestions.

Hisalone

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for any responses.

So here's what I have. I have a 1971 Monte Carlo. It has a weight of about 3300lbs, a .060 over 454 big block, a built 700R4 transmission, 4:11 12 bolt posi rear end and plenty more. The driveline can handle about 800 horsepower as it sits.

With around a $10k budget (give or take) what I'm looking to do is swap a big inch big block like a 540 or 572 in place of the 454. Here is what I'm thinking and tell me if I'm out of line.

700+ horsepower
Aluminum heads (weight savings)
Pump gas (would also consider higher compression for E85)
Forged bottom end
Single square bore style carb

Basically, I want the power to be able to run 10s in the 1/4 mile consistently while having a good cruiser when not racing.

Crate engine builders I've been noticing that might be able to help include Blueprint Engines. 

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...-base-ps5720ct

Also, I've noticed Skip White selling a 572 on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-BBC-57...JVfd4y&vxp=mtr

I've also heard of Mark at Vortecpro building engines for good value.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? The swap would be pretty simple as there's already a big block in it. I don't have the time or space to build an engine myself otherwise I would be interested in taking on a project like that so don't hate. Any experiences with the above or any other recommendations on who I should contact. All suggestions and responses are appreciated. If you need any more info, let me know.

I agree with Sam about Mark

Be carefull looking at some of these engines. The blueprint engine is a tall deck (10.2 instead of 9.8 deck height) Getting a good set of performance headers to get past the steering will be expensive.

My 2 inch american racing headers with merge collectors were pricey, I should have gone bigger but I did not want to take it to have custom headers made or spend the extra $1200 on them.

My car will run 10.0s at 3900 pounds with my 555. If your car is 3300 a good 540 should get it into the nines.

You will need some roll bars.

You will probably come to hate that 700 at the track.

How did you get that car at 3300 pounds? 

I agree with Sam about Mark

Be carefull looking at some of these engines. The blueprint engine is a tall deck (10.2 instead of 9.8 deck height) Getting a good set of performance headers to get past the steering will be expensive.

My 2 inch american racing headers with merge collectors were pricey, I should have gone bigger but I did not want to take it to have custom headers made or spend the extra $1200 on them.

My car will run 10.0s at 3900 pounds with my 555. If your car is 3300 a good 540 should get it into the nines.

You will need some roll bars.

You will probably come to hate that 700 at the track.

How did you get that car at 3300 pounds? 

That's some good advice to consider.  Thanks.

What do you mean by saying "You will probably come to hate that 700 at the track."?

3300 pounds take a lot of things stripped down. Full fiberglass front end and hood, shaved firewalls, no heat, no AC, no stereo or speakers, aluminum heads, aftermarket interior components as well as other minor weight saving measures.  I probably should run it at the track with the current engine just to establish a baseline, but all I have local is the 1/8th mile.

I am leaning heavily towards having Mark build me an engine.  He's been highly recommended and he's somewhat local.  He told me he'd like to have me present when the engine gets dynoed and I could pick it up then and there.

I have no problem with 700s on the street great transmission.

The gear splits sometimes hurt at the track, Too deep a gear will blow off the tires.

TH400, 2.48, 1.48, 1.00  I run a 4.11 so the ratio to the tires would be 10.19, 6.08, 4.11

TH700-R4, 3.06, 1.62, 1.00, 0.70 with a 4.11 the ratio to the tires would be 12.66, 6.82, 4.11, 2.88

Gear Vendors would be nice

Hey Mike, wouldn't a gear vendors kind of defeat the purpose at the track because they weigh so much? They can take a pounding but wouldn't you just rather have a tranny that can handle the HP and have overdrive?

Mike

I have no problem with 700s on the street great transmission.

The gear splits sometimes hurt at the track, Too deep a gear will blow off the tires.

TH400, 2.48, 1.48, 1.00  I run a 4.11 so the ratio to the tires would be 10.19, 6.08, 4.11

TH700-R4, 3.06, 1.62, 1.00, 0.70 with a 4.11 the ratio to the tires would be 12.66, 6.82, 4.11, 2.88

Most of the duty this transmission sees will be on the street with occasional track use.  When that becomes an issue, I'll address it then.  I like the cruise characteristics of the overdrive especially with the locking converter.  This car is mainly a do-all-things-well-car.  I like it to show well, take corners, cruise and carry my famly comfortably, and roar at the track so I understand some compromises will limit it, just as I've seen there's been some compromises in keeping the weight on this thing down. 

Again, appreciate your comments and opinions.

• Like 1

a 2004R would be a better choice for a trans

If this 700r4 grenades, then I will definitely got with a 2004R as a replacement.

As I'm shopping around for an engine, one thing I'm keeping in mind is ease of swapping.  As established, I must go with a standard deck block since my steering is already tight against the header..  That being said, is there anything I need to watch out for as far as oil pan clearance?  Does our crossmember cause problems for certain aftermarket oil pans? If so, which big block pans are known to provide plenty of clearance so this is not an issue.