Front Dash speakers

Big Al

I'm in the process of upgrading the stereo system in my car. I would like to find some aftermarket front dash speakers that will fit without much modification if that is possible, any suggestion's?

Kenwood makes some that work really well. Someone else will have to supply the part as this feeble mind cannot remember much of anything today

Found the part number Kenwood  4675-C. These are the ones I used and only had to modify the brackets slightly

Al,

You might also like to check out the Electro-Tech 4x6 dash speakers for '70-'72 Chevelle/Monte Carlo.  Here's the LINK.  Just scroll down a few screens until you come to this particular speaker.  The product number is EN46CD-8A.  For an extra $10 a pair they will include the brackets that adapt this speaker directly to the stock Monte front speaker brackets with zero modifications.  Unlike many speakers, these have a trimmer magnet housing so you don't run into interference problems with the brackets or any nearby dash structure.

I installed a pair last summer and am pleased with them, although I am sure there are more powerful speakers you might shoehorn in there if that's what you want.

BTW, there was a thread on this subject very recently.  Take a look at this THREAD.

• 1 month later...

Leghome,

Do you think you could post some pictures of The Kenwood speaker mounted in the left bracket? I purchased a set of the Kenwood 4675-C speakers. But when I took my MC to have my stereo system installed by a local stereo shop they accidently destroyed the bracket when they tried to cut it to make the new speaker fit. Now I'm in need of a new left front speaker bracket. I'm going to also need the other smaller brackets that connect to the speaker. I'm in the process of trying to acquire a replacement left bracket. I just wanted to see how you mounted your speaker. Thank you.

I do not have the dash pad off at the present time but will do when I remove it to redo a couple of things next month. It was trimmed a bit towards the windshield side and I also made a couple of custom brackets to attach the speaker to the main bracket.

Leghome, thank you, no worries, I was able to come-up with a solution after thinking about and looking at how the speaker needed to be positioned. After the stereo shop had cut up the speaker bracket to make the speaker fit. The rear speaker magnet cut the cable on the Dakota Digital Tach Gauge that I had installed. After having the gauge repaired and thinking about it I went to

Lowes and purchased to simple clamps. I cut then bent both of them to what I needed to hold the speaker in-place and to also provide me the clearance for the magnet and the tach gauge. So cutting the "speaker bracket" and the "speaker(metal frame around the speaker)",is unnecessary I just replaced the speaker bracket with two simple clamps that cost me 60 cents for both. I'm going to try and post some pictures.