INTERIOR - Armrest backing plate

Has anyone ever replaced the chrome backing plate that goes on the door panel behind the arm rest? I have a question about the clips (three of them) that hold the plate against the door. Did you reuse those clips? If so, how? Do you need a special tool to insert them over the tabs that stick through the door panel? Hope the question is clear enough. If not, I'll take a picture and post it. Also has anyone repainted the armrest base? If so, with what type of paint? I have black interior by the way.

I repainted both the backing plate and the armrest base from black to red using regular enamel paint. Make sure you get all the vinyl and other cleaner off (e.g. by using degreaser).

I left the backing plate on the door panel and just masked it around. These clips brake the plate easily when you try to remove them!

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO "FULMNTE"

86 Monte LS "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

Sig.gif

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

Thanks Andreas. I learned the hard way that you can't remove the clips. I broke the tab and cracked the driver's side plate. frown.gif But thanks for the tip regarding degreaser. I will definitely use it before I paint the armrest base. Did you redo the vinyl armrest pad?

The Paddock sells repros of the chrome armrest base. I replaced mine a while ago and the new parts made a big difference on the door panel.

I basically destroyed my old base plates when I removed them from the door panel. I didn't particularly care if I ruined the old ones since I had a new pair on hand. My concern was to not damage the door panel. The clips in the door panel have teeth that grab hold and gouge into the tabs on the plastic base piece. It's difficult to remove the base without screwing up the plastic tabs.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
The Paddock sells repros of the chrome armrest base. I replaced mine a while ago and the new parts made a big difference on the door panel.

I basically destroyed my old base plates when I removed them from the door panel. I didn't particularly care if I ruined the old ones since I had a new pair on hand. My concern was to not damage the door panel. The clips in the door panel have teeth that grab hold and gouge into the tabs on the plastic base piece. It's difficult to remove the base without screwing up the plastic tabs.
</font>

Mike,

Did you use any clips when you put the new backing plate on? Or did you hold it in place until you put the screws in for the armrest base? Did you run into any problems?

Mark --

I was able to reuse all of the original clips. I basically broke the mounting tabs off of the old backing plate when I pried the old plate off. In fact, I used tin snips to break up the old plate so I could get access to the tabs. I didn't want to pull on the plate and risk damaging the door panel.

Once the old plate was gone, I used a flat screwdriver and needlenose pliers and pulled out the remaining plastic tabs that were still in the clips.

Keep in mind I removed the door panel from the car entirely when I did this job.

To install the new plates, I lined up the tabs on the back of the new plate with the clips and pushed the plate on while pressing behind the door panel. You have to keep your hands on the clips behind the door panel so they don't pop through the interior panel lining. You can feel the clips under the lining.

I was able to easily re-attach the new plate. I don't recall any problems.

Even if there is some free play between the plate and the door panel, the armrest base mounting (with screws) takes care of it.

Thanks to Mike and Andreas. I did end up ordering the backing plates from Year One. I wasn't happy with them entirely. You can see the outline of the horizontal and vertical bars on the back of the plate through the chrome on the front. They are sending me a new set. So I will let you know how it turns out when I receive the new set and repaint the armrest bases.

I am learning as I read....

This is a project that will come my way soon. Where can I get new armrest bases?

There are three parts. There is the backing plate, the armrest base, and the armrest pad. Year One sells all three parts. I only purchased the backing plate. I will repaint the base, and probably have the armrest pad redone at the local upholstery shop.

Mark,

I just replaced my chrome pieces before Commerce. I reused the original clips. Fortunately, the 3 clips on the drivers side were split on one side. I assume that they were broken because the passenger side clips were not split. If you are careful with a screwdriver you can carefully work the plastic tabs on the chrome out of the clips. When installing the new chrome, slightly bend the teeth of the clip towards the visible side of the door panel. This will allow the clip to bite into the chrome and hold it in place. Make sure that the holes for the arm rest base are lined up with the holes in the door or else the arm rest bases are a pain to reinstall.

------------------