INTERIOR - Window crank removal

the crank/handle looks like its held on with a kinda C-shaped clip, the way i know is to get a piece of cloth about an inch wide or so, the hem of a t-shirt is good, more than 6" long, and squeeze it in between the plastic 'dress' washer and the door itself, then hold both ends firmly and rotate the cloth, (dont slide the cloth simply follow your hands round the clock)dont let the handle rotate, what normally happens is one of the open ends of the C-clip hooks into the material and disenges in the direction youre rotating (rotate only one direction tho) also be careful, sometimes the clip will catapult out of the slot, 'ouch' putting it back in is real obvious after you see it off the door

good luck

jon smile.gif

------------------

am i taking this too seriously?

I've used a bent nail, which is using a tool without buying one. Delmonte's idea sounds great, must try it next time. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Saddle SS454 orginial

'71 Project, 2" chop planned

[This message has been edited by ejw71 (edited 04-16-2002).]

u could also use a butter knife with a hook bent on the end or a pick pull kinda tool, also the c shaped clip is always with the loop either under the handle or 180 degrees from the handle i forget right now. good luck

• 2 months later...
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by delmonte:
the crank/handle looks like its held on with a kinda C-shaped clip, the way i know is to get a piece of cloth about an inch wide or so, the hem of a t-shirt is good, more than 6" long, and squeeze it in between the plastic 'dress' washer and the door itself, then hold both ends firmly and rotate the cloth, (dont slide the cloth simply follow your hands round the clock)dont let the handle rotate, what normally happens is one of the open ends of the C-clip hooks into the material and disenges in the direction youre rotating (rotate only one direction tho) also be careful, sometimes the clip will catapult out of the slot, 'ouch' putting it back in is real obvious after you see it off the door
good luck
jon smile.gif
</font>

I have the tool, but this sounds like it works even better. I will try it next time.

------------------
George Lines