INTERIOR - Dash lights and vent

Hey all,

I finally got my Monte home from KY. I have found a few small things that need fixed. First is the turn signal lights on the dash. Both green arrows must be burnt out cause they do not come on. The rest of the dash lights work fine. The problem is getting to them. I dropped the steering column but still could not reach them. Is there a trick to this that I do not know about? Second, the vent stays on even when the ac and blower motor is off. The blower motor does not run, but the vent stays on and I get hot engine compartment air blowing as i drive down the road. Is there a trick to fix this? Is the vent run by vacuum pressure? If so, where does it route? Also, I wanted to convert the A/C to R134 but should I wait until I get the vent problem fixed? Thanks for any help.

Pale 340, the newest member to the club.

First, do the turn signal indicators come on if you put on the emergency flashers? How 'bout if you turn on the emergency flashers and step on the brake? Check to make sure that your bulbs on the outside are working. If they still don't work, it may be easiest to get to them by removing the dash pad.

As far as the engine heat....I have that problem too, and found a hole in the side of my heater box in the engine compartment right near the exh. manifold! Feel around with your hand and make sure you don't have that. Also, it is important to have a good seal where the top of the firewall meets with the underside of the hood, or hot air will go right into the car at the vent intake at the base of the windsheild.

Thanks for the info. The heat you hit right on the head. The cowl seal is missing. So, the hood is not sealing to the firewall which is probably doing what you said. As far as the turn signal lights, they all work on the outside, its just the two green arrows on the inside. How do you take off the dash pad in a 72? Thanks again for the heat problem I will order a hood to cowl seal and see if that fixes it.

There are a series of screws (can't remember exact number) the run along the top side of the dash body and hold the dash pad to the dash, screwing upwards to hold the pad from below. The screws penetrate the wood grain trim and two more are located in the glove box. Once those are out, the pad lifts up and pulls out, allowing access to the back side of the dash. Putting it back in can be a bit tricky, as the window side of the pad is held in place with clips the slide under tabs on the body. On most of the dashes I've seen of this vintage the pad gets a bit (or a lot) warped and makes putting all the clips in at once a 'challenge' biggrin.gif

------------------

If you want government to intervene domestically, you're a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you're a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you're a moderate. If you don't want government to intervene anywhere, you're an extremist. —JOSEPH SOBRAN (1995)

Monte1a.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will try that this evening and see if I can get it off. Also, still no luck on the vent problem. The cowl seal did not fix it. It must be a stuck vent door or something. I am afraid its going to be a night mare. Also, how do you add a photo to the signature.

• 2 months later...

Man, I wish I had read this BEFORE I started workin on my IP lights.. would have made my day a lot easier! wink.gif

I found only 2 light bulbs that were good imluminating my dash.

one was between the clock and speedo, and the other was over the speedo,b ut the one over the speedo was not seated correctly and was not on...

just as an update.. I got 7 new bulbs installed today.. and WOW.. I can SEE the dash.. amazing..

put an interrior light in itoo!

so I pulled the idiot light for the oil bulb out and stuck it in there so I can see the whole speedo, as it was too late to stop somewhere and get new bulbs.

[This message has been edited by kc8oye (edited 09-30-2002).]