leaking tranie

have a 70 mcss that leaves a large red puddle when it sets for a while. I remember seeing the same problem posted somewhere but can't recall where. It had something to do with fluid backing up through the convertor. What is the fix for this prob?

The best way to find a leak is to move it to fresh concrete, get the car on blocks so you can get under it. Wipe the bottom of the tranny and wet ares as best as possible. Come back often while it is in the air and look for where the drips are on the ground and check where they are coming from. That is how I have done it.

George

Thanks for advise put the car on stands wiped everything down and the only leak was coming from the shifter shaft. Is the the same type of seal leak that you would find with the speedometer connection?

Thanks again

SD

What type of tranny do you have? This is a TH-400 seal replacement procedure. Don't remember exactly what a TH-350 seal replacement is like.

Can't be too much different than below.

That seal is not to hard to repace. It like a regular seal, only very small. They used to be made of rubber, but newer ones may have metal in it. 1st, get a new shaft seal, remove linkage on trans, check if it has metal in it, if not, then you may be able to get it out. Be ready to loose fluid. To remove shaft, drop trans pan. There is a pin and a nut to remove from it. The shaft can then be taken out. Be sure to get the lever back into the shift rod slot when replacing. You should also change out the filter and fluid.

This topic was also addressed in a recent post called something about Speedo link and TH350 vent question.

You can replace the old-type seal with the newer-type seal which should (as I recall) solve the problem. OR every once in a while you can add a little fluid, start the car and drive it OR at least slowly shift it up and down into the different gears several times. This allows the seal to re-saturate with fluid.

IF your leak is similar to mine (sounds like it), then this will take care of it.

Will