ENGINE - Power Booster Questions!

With my new setup, BB w/Tall valve covers to clear stud girdles, the stock power booster is too close to the valve cover(might fit a piece of paper between). Is there another booster smaller in diameter that can be used instead that fits a '71 Monte? Also, if I decide to go to manual brakes(removing booster altogether) which master cylinder works? Do I need to replace proportioning valve? Disc/Drum setup.

Fred

Corvette had the same problem. Chevrolet decided to kinda flatten that back corner of the valve cover. I don't know if you want to do any welding/ polishing on your fancy covers, but it may be easier than changing the rest of the car. I have used the factory chrome corvette-style with a spacer underneath to raise them up past the rockers.

I called MASTER POWER BRAKE (704)664-8866

"E" MPBrakes@aol.com

and ordered a 9" Maxi-booster for a Monte. Perfect fit. Also ordered S/S front brake hoses. Not cheep! $302 total.

------------------

George Lines

Fred,Master Power sells the conversion kits to manual brakes,I got the needed parts from them all except the master cylinder which I got from Murrays for about 1/3 the price.Look it up under a 68 Chevelle with manual brakes and it will bolt right up.No problem for me stopping at 145 mph, and you know how short the shutdown is at the Grove.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I was considering all optoins and have kept leaning toward the manual setup because vacuum is an issue with my engine setup. Then I would need to spend more money on an electric vacuum pump. Seems to me like these brake companys are really overpriced on the equipment their selling. As a machinist in volume production machining I see how long it takes to make things. The markups are really outrageous. Just my 2 cents.

Fred