AUTO BODY REPAIR - Trim Repair

Stick

Does anyone know if it is possible or how to remove dimples or dents from trim pieces? I have a 72 and the rear chrome piece has a few minor dimples and dents. Before I spend a bunch of $$$ on a new one I would like to try and repair the one I have. Any info would be appreciated.

I have a chart for making trim repair tools (it's not here) out of oak wood. these tools are prety small and you use a rubbing action with the wood over a very smooth anvil on small creases and dents. Finish off with 600 grit and finer sand paper before buffing.

[This message has been edited by George Lines (edited 02-18-2003).]

Stick.......i have never worked on the rear trim part . i think you are talking about the wide piece below the trunklid, which i think is aluminum . i have worked on several windshield moldings . for those i took a piece of hard wood ( from a wire brush handle ) and as George said you can work them out . the way i did the moldings was grind the wood to the contour i needed and lightly tap from the inside . the piece was held against another piece of wood . i hope this helps .

mike

Thanks George and Mike. This helps a lot. I know what I need to do now. I had a feeling it would be something along those lines, but wasn’t sure what type of tools to use.

The part in question is the wide piece below the trunklid.

I didn’t think about finishing. What type of compound should be used when buffing? Should it be something like jewelers rouge? And after buffing should there be something put on the finish to protect it? Like wax or a clear coat?

Mike

Eastwood has a great catalog of that kind of stuff. Everything from hammers to polish, buffers and how-to books. I had a friend that bought the book and the tools and repaired all his stainless on a '56 Buick. (!!!). He was able to fix even bad dents and bends, and remove deep scratches and gouges. The pieces came out perfect and gleamed like chrome. Very impressive.

Most stainless trim can be repaired and buffed to new condition , the rear panel is aluminum that is anodized to achieve a factory finsish you will have to remove the anodized coating metal finish out the dings then have the piece replated

Leo