Oil Pressure

dejh22

Hello, I have a question about oil pressure. My son has a 72 Monte with a rebuilt 350. He bought the car in Louisiana when he was stationed down there in 2007 or 2008. He had someone do  a short block. He did the rest. He would call me and I would talk him though it. Kind of like in the movies were a passager is trying to land the plane. I have rebuilt a fair share of chevy engines. I wish I could of done this one. I have always used a Melling high pressure, high volume oil pump. I do switch out the spring so it is not the super high pressure. Always have had good results. I told my son to tell them that is what he wanted. So he did. He got it all back together. I should get a pic of the engine compartment....what a mess of wires, trans lines run wrong. The neg cable should only be two ft long and he has a 6 footer hooked up. But I'm proud of him for "winging it". He drove it around down there for a year or so. He told me that the oil pressure was good when cold. The oil pressure would drop to about 10 pounds at ideal when hot. He shipped the car home to me when he was transferred to Alaska. He has been home a few times over the years and would drive it around. I got it started today and moved it to my other garage so I could clean up the engine compartment. We talked about the oil pressure issue and I told him I could change out the oil pump so we would know what we had. When I started it the oil pressure was near 60 pounds. Which it has always been when cold. I'm having second thoughts about changing the pump. My gut tells me that there is something else going on. Bearing issue maybe? All mine engines would run around 20 pounds at ideal when hot.

I'll give an educated guess that the bearing clearances are a little too much 

I think you  may be well educated :) It is not driven often. I think today makes the first time it has been started in over two years.  My son is getting out of the Air Force and taking a job in Taiwan! So it will not be drive anytime in the near future. I plan on cleaning the engine compartment. I will also install new aluminum pulleys, flex fan and new power steering pump with new hoses. Change the oil with some 20-50 weight  extra zinc oil and oil filter. Cover it up and call it good.