Keeps blowing AC fuse ...

Mike Brichta

Here is weird electrical problem (aren't they all) that I could use some advice on.  For some reason, the AC fuse keeps blowing.  I have no other issues with the car or any problems with any other electrical items in the car.  Everything works fine on the car.  When the fuse blows I am not even using any part of the Climate Control system.  I replaced the fuse several times (with the recommended 25A fuse), started the engine, turned on the AC and let it run for about 5-10 minutes.  All is well.  The heater and AC work as they should.  Then after about a day or so of driving (without even using the Climate Control system), the fuse is blown again.

Since it seems to be happening when I am not even using the Climate Control system I would think it has to do with the current getting from the battery to the Climate Control switch.  That would mean with the fuse block area or the dash wiring harness.  That is where I would begin my search.  What do you guys think?

Maybe switching out the Climate Control mechanism?

Thanks!!
Mike

Try always to isolate any electrical problem first. Try & unplug the compressor clutch first, then the switch on blower etc. one at a time to see if you can isolate the short.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for your input.  I was thinking exactly the same thing that's why I went out yesterday and purchased lots of 25A fuses.  Last night I unplugged the AC compressor as my first test.  I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks!!
Mike