Xe274h on 350 with vortec heads?

Ian_Arenivas

I got a set of 906 vortec heads with beehive springs, screw in studs not sure if they have the 3 angle valve job the guy said they did I wanted to know if I can run a xe274h cam with a .490 lift on my 350. Will I need to get a torque converter I need at least a 2000 stall

Ian:

Welcome to the boards.

Vortecs are a great head, but be sure to check for proper clearance between the bottom of your valve spring retainer and valve guide at full lift with that cam.

Stock configuration vortecs are not known for liking more than .460-.470 lift without bottoming out, but with beehives & screw in studs, someone has been modifying your heads, so you may be OK. Don't assume so, be sure to check. 

What is the compression ratio, rear gears, intake & carb, exhaust? Strip, street/strip, aggressive or "Grandpa Going to Church" driving style?

All these variables will determine if that cam will be OK in your 350 and more importantly...if you will be happy with it.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Had that cam in my 355. That engine had big 200cc Dart heads with an Airgap intake and 3:55 gears. Started out with a 24-2600 converter and it wasnt enuff. Swapped it out for a Coan 3000-3500 10 inch that was tight untill you mashed it...... thats exactly what that cam needed. Got my Monte down the track at 12.80.. Every combo is different but from my experience that cam would do better with more converter.