36 element sprag and drum

Heckeng

Hey guys, I was just curious if any of you have ever broken a standard sprag and drum. I have talked to ATI, and they claim that this is the most common break on a th-350 and they claim that if the transmission is in good shape, and you replace the sprag race ($40) and upgrade to a 36 element sprag and drum assy ($260) that a th-350 should be good for around 900hp.

I'm just curious to hear any experience you might have!

(and I wanted to get a current thread up on the new board!)

Blew 3 pro built th350's with 36 sprag in less than 4 runs each!

Don't see how it could hold 900hp! I was only at an honest 650 back then! First one just surged forward made a loud pop then quite pulling. Second one did the same as well as cracked the case near the tail housing. Third one was a $1400 without converter deal with a T-brake, When I released the button the front wheels came up about 6"'s then the case split down the casting seem along the top center of the case almost from bell to tail. These were all by on top trans/converter companies for racers in the country. They swapped me a top of the line 400 for the grenaded th350, It's been freshened 3 times in 10 years and still works like a swiss watch!

Don

Wow, that's not what I wanted to hear Don! I guess I can dream huh!

When you got your th400 going, did you keep engine braking ability?

No, Mine is not a street setup at all. T-Brake reverse shift pattern and freewheel decel. I had it do that way on purpose as its hard on a all out drag engine to be used as a compression brake.

You can however make a basically bullet proof th400 that works like stock!

Don

• 3 weeks later...

I run a 36 element Sprag and Drum in mine. The parts alone ar e$600 to $700. I do not think most Montes under 800 HP will need more than a 34 element Sprag. Just make sure your burnout procedure is correct by starting in 2nd gear and NEVER Shift from first to second while doing a burnout. When the car starts to grip and roll forward let out of it immediately.

I just installed an Ultra-Bell on my trans after cracking the case at 130 mph a few weeks ago.

Cool, that's what I thought. But what does shifting while doing a burnoff do though, I haven't heard that one before. I'm guilty of that on occasion, although usually not with slicks!

Cool, that's what I thought. But what does shifting while doing a burnoff do though, I haven't heard that one before. I'm guilty of that on occasion, although usually not with slicks!

While I am not a trans expert, basically when you shift from 1st to 2nd, the direction of the rotating drum changes instantly and the sprag is what takes the brunt of the load. From what I have been told it is the No-Load action of the burnout that makes this a problem when it is not a problem when accelerating with a load on the trans. Always start in 2nd gear shifting from 2nd to 3rd is OK.

Hope this clears it up..Have a good one !

• 2 weeks later...