Converting to Console Shifter?

DavidTX

I just installed Bucket seats and Console shifter. I thought that I could remove the column shift lever and everything would work. Not So. If I place the column shifter in park, I can remove the ignition key and and the steering wheel locks. Rather difficult to drive that way. Unfortunately the column is locked and won't rotate. If I have the column shifter in any other position then I can't remove the ignition key.

I know I am not the only one to run into this problem but haven't seen it discussed before.

On a floor shifted car there is a linkage that runs from the transmission to the column to unlock the steering wheel. I have a picture of it somewhere if you want to see it.

Ian

You may have to remove part of the original column shifter, I converted to a aftermarket floor shifter in my first Monte, and I think I had to remove something, I don't remember what exactly as it was about 15 years ago frown

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I finally located a neutral Safety and backup light switch that mounts on the console. This is a picture of it and it mounts to the linkage inside the console. It also shows what vehichles that use it. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=NIE&MfrPartNumber=NS36581

Unfortunately they no longer sell the switch but it is still available at aftermarket sights. If you need it and can't locate any, contact me.