Limited Slip Rear Question

70 Iron

Hi to all,

I just bought a 10 Bolt 308:1 Posi Rear [Limited Slip] at the fall Carlisle and getting it ready to put it in the Monte.I drained the old grease out and put in new as well as the additive.The gears looked great ,so I have it all detailed and looking fine with stainless brake lines,new wheel cylinders,Alumium Drums,new brake shoes and hardware.Now to my question!,Should'nt I be able to hold one wheel and be able to slightly turn the other with a little resistance? I even put on the wheels and had a friend hold one side but it will only turn both,like a full positraction.Is this something that will brake loose after installing it or don't I have a problem? The rear come out of a 72 El Camino with the code GF which means 308:1 posi 1972.

Ideas or opinions will be helpful,Thanks Terry

posi IS limited slip. if you can turn one wheel with drag, that would suggest a WORN posi unit.

I just put a basicly new posi axle in my car and there's no way I can turn just one wheel.

Thanks KC ,Than I really don't have a problem? So with this rear will it slip allowing it to turn in driveway ect with out making any unpleasent noises, But will be posi when one tire begins to spin?

Thanks,Terry

Bare with me Guys,I'm trying to understand this before I install it lol

So with this rear will it slip allowing it to turn in driveway ect with out making any unpleasent noises, But will be posi when one tire begins to spin?

You will be fine, it will slip when you are making a turn...as Tim/KC said no way are you going to hold one tire back while rotating the other by hand.

You may get a small squeak (tire chirp) from the one inner tire on a turn if the posi/limited slip was set-up tight but that might not happen with yours.

And you will have two black marks when you hammer it...provided you got the power to make them spin... wink

Bill

drivin.gif

I've got the power to make them spin.. in fact.. that's the new problem.. way too much power.... or way to little tire... depending on how you want to look at it.. LOL

i had my car hangin in the air on leo's hoist and with the trans in park, I could torque the wheel nuts down with the 4-way w/o the wheels turning... (also a basicly brand new posi unit)

one last note.. "Posi" short for "PosiTraction" is GM's trade-name for limited-slip differentials..

I might have this backwards, but I think ford calls theirs "TrueTrack" and chysler calls theirs "SureTrack" or something along those lines.. they all do the same thing smile

I think you might have been getting the term posi confused with a 'spool' which is NO differential action at all. (drags tires or hops and jerks around corners, but great for the strip)

Thanks for the help understanding how this rear works guys.

I just wanted to be sure it was the way it susposed to work before I put it in the Monte.

As far as having the power to burn them ,I probably don't have a tire smoker,its only a 350/250 hp. I added dual exhaust and getting everything together to add a 4 barrel carb, but maybe on the right surface it may.lol. Some of the car cruises, they allow you to burnout when leaving and just maybe I'll be able to lay down two black marks instead of the one tire fire.I'm planning on installing it in a week or two,Just don't have time right at the moment,been dealing with the wifes cancer and treatments,but all will work out. Thanks again,Terry

Terry, I hear ya man. Time is a commodity :> You will like that posi smile Iknow I LOVE mine. the extra gearing doesn't hurt either smile when I lay it to the floor in 1st gear.... oh *WOW* heh. .between the 3.06 1st gear, and the 3.55 in the back, and the posi.. it just bites in and goes like HE!! :>

I'm problaby about 325ish hp.. right now that's plenty smile

Kc,Sounds like you are really hooked up!also alot of fun to drive too.When I get the 4 barrel 0n I guess mine will have about 300 hp ,350/250hp duals and 4 barrel?I have the 308:1 posi ready to go in,sandblasted,painted,new brake cables,brakes, hardware and Aluminum brake drums,realy looks good. I may have time in about a week or so to install it.Terry

i having a lot of issues right now that are stopping from turning any good numbers at the strip.. trans is acting stupid.. refuses to make a full throttle 2-3 upshift until i either lift right off.. or wind it out to 6500 rpm.. and I really don't like the second option.

as for hooking up.. I just don't have things setup right yet wink

I have an insanely low stall torque converter, so when I first get on it.. I have no torque to speak of.. as the revs come up, I can feel it trying to break the tires loose... time for bigger tires I guess :P~