Little help!

FullMonte

Funny thing about education... the more I learn, often, the more confused I get. Case in point: I've finished about all I will do with engine upgrade (new manifold, headers, 600 CFM carb and mild cam) and now ready to upgrade the rear end, but not sure which way to go.

I have the 350 with regular transmission (300?). Not sure what the gears were/are, but I know it is not a posi. My goal is to make the car less of a highway cruiser and more of a "neighborhood bruiser." I seldom drive it over 20 miles at a time.

Trouble is I don't know the first thing about the ratios that I should get. I hear everthing from 2:73 to 4:11. What were these cars equipped with in the first place, and what do you recommend for an upgrade to make it jump while still being capable of driving on the highway without winding it up too much.

Also, is it possible to add a posi (this is a 10-bolt) or should I try to find happiness with one wheel? Thanks!

George

George

... regular transmission (300), thats most likely a TurboHydromatic 350 .

the most common gear ratio i have come across with the 350/350 combination is 2.73:1

yes you can add a posi when upgrading your rear axle gears.

for neiborhood bashing i would consider 3.55:1 or 3.73:1 they are available also as i recall in 3.23:1 and 3.42:1

i believe you can find a RPM/ratio calculator at 700R4.com

have fun

mike

Thanks for the info, Mike. I am thinking the 3.73 is what I will go with. More confusion...

When I look in the Summit catalog, I see about four different references to GM 10-bolt 3.73 gears:

7.5/7.625", 27 spline pinion

8.20", B or P axle, 27 spline

8.20", 25 spline

8.50", 25 spline

Is there a way to easily tell what I need?

They also make a note regarding a 3.08 and lower carrier versus a 3.23 and higher carrier. What's that all about? Thanks!

George

George, check out www.Nationaldrivetrain.com go to differential gearing ring & pinion.

They have a calculator to help find what gears are best for you.

Depending on what gear ratio you go with it will let you know what series carrier you will need. (3.08 or lower or 3.23 or higher) or a thick gear will work too with your carrier..

You have to get a posi / power trax something, NO ONE WHEEL WONDER!!

Check it out or give them a call.

Matthew

Any ideas on what I can expect to pay for the parts necessary to change to a posi and change gears at the same time? I am assuming everything will fit in the same housing.

Any ideas on what I can expect to pay for the parts necessary to change to a posi and change gears at the same time? I am assuming everything will fit in the same housing.

Check this out: smile

Posi Cost Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard really good things about the Powertrax. I was going to get it untill I landed a rear end built for 350.00. There is no friction material like the posi unit. When your going in a straght line, it accts as a spool, equal power to both rear wheels. But acts as an open when going around corners. If this info is wrong, someone else please jump in. Also, make sure you know what rear end you have. My old 72 had a 12 bolt with a 2.73. My current one had a 8.5" 10 bolt. Also, I think the 3.73 gear is the best of both worlds without overdrive. Will get off the line, but you can still jump on the highway. here is a the address for the powertrax:

Powertrax