4L80E Swap....

Reaper

Hey guys long time no talk.... Havent been on in a while been busy and havent messed with the Monte much since the tranny went out. Some of you might remember my TH400 went out on me a couple months ago after finally getting the car on the road. Anyway I was wanting overdrive because the TH400 with 3k stall even with 2.73 gears was reving at 3k at 60... I was gonna spend 2k on a 700R4 that could hopefully handle my big block but I came across a 1992 4L80E for a hundred bucks so I figured what the heck Ill take the little extra weight and know I can build it to handle the big block.

Do you guys know what all I have to do to make it work in the Monte? Do I need some kind of computer to control it? Do you know if its a lock-up converter because if not do you guys think I could use my TH400 converter since they are almost the same tranny...? Also the yoke is bolted into the tranny... is there anyway I change it to slip on? Or am I better off with it bolted in?

Thanks a bunch guys! smile

Tom

tom the 4l80 is computer control for shifting i dont know how much hp u r planin on puttin out but for a 100 bucks i wouldnt go with the 4l80e. if im not mistaken the 4l80e didnt come out in 92 maybe its the 4l60e which is a 700r4. i run a bowtie overdrives 700r4 in my monte which can handle 450hp they do make one with will handle 600hp. i dont believe ur 400 converter will work with either the 700r4 or the 4l80e. u also might want to think about a less of a stall for street use, and i would change the converter so u dont mess up the new trans.

Planning on running a lot of power and if the converter wont work from the 400 like I dont think it will I am gonna go with a little less stall. If I have to run a computer its cool but Im hoping I could try to use a manual valve body... I wouldnt have a problem trying to run a 700R4 but I would have to replace everything anyway and the 4L80 is stronger smile Thanks, Tom

I think Im honestly about 500 HP right now and planning on a power adder which is what makes me afraid of the 700R4... The 4L80E came out in 1991, this trans is a 92. I know its a 4L80.. and at the very least if for some reason I change my mind I could sell it to my tranny guy for more than I paid for it... smile

The 4L80 is a good transmission but they are all computer controlled. I would jump on one in an instant for a 100 bucks but would go over it. The computer controls are also pricy. 400 converters will not work and the tranny is big you may have to bang on the tunnel to make it fit.

If it truely is a 4L80E tranny you will need a stand alone cpu to be able to have automatic shifts. That will be real an expensive way to go. If it were me I'd just shift it manually and be done with it. From what I've heard you will have to run a 4L80E specific torque converter as it's not interchangeable with any other tranny. It's a heavy beast of a convertor as well. If you switch to an overdrive you can take your rear gears back over 3.73 and still run a 3,000 stall converter and be fine, but you have to have the power to pull it through. I run a 700r4 with 3,000 stall and 4.11 gears and my car picks up from a stop on the street just fine and is a beast when you nail it, but I'm putting down 534hp to the wheels that helps pull the car through the tranny, stall, rear gear setup. When my 700r4 gives up the ghost I'll either switch to a turbo 400, or a 4L80e if I still want an overdrive.

I dont have a problem shifting it manually... and judging by what Ive seen for prices on a comp I will be smile Does it need a manual valve body or will it shift with me shifting it? I was gonna go with manual valve body in 700R4 if I got one so no big deal to me smile. I figured I would have to use a 4L80 converter was just hoping smile Anyone seen any decent converters for em under a grand? smile

I am gonna have it rebuilt before it goes in the Monte... Im hopin trans guy can do it under a grand and find me a good converter cheap. So I figure Ill have about the same money in this as I would buying a 700R4. Thanks guys, keep the posts comin smile

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think the HP loss difference is between a 4L80E and a 700R4? 680HP.... what all do you have done to your 700R4 to hold that much power? Trans guy is tellin me a 700R4 might hold upto what I want to do but I dont think he understands that I want to seriously try for about 750 HP with the turbo and beat the heck out of it.... Thanks guys, Tom

What would you guys do if you had a 4L80E? Would you build it say after everything is said and done you have about 1700 in it or would you build a 700R4 and have about 1500 in it but possibly not hold up for more than 2 years....? Thanks, TOm

4L80 all the way. Just have it rebuilt stock with a hardened input shaft and a non lockup converter and beat the snot out of it every day. At 750hp it will just laugh at you. Whether you build a full manual shift 4L80, or a 700R4 you will invest about the same amount of money. All the parts in my 700 came from a company called P.A.T.C. All the hard parts are either cold, or heat treated, or forged. 700R4 trannies have limits. Safely you can go up to 600hp with a unit built like mine with a Yank converter, but after that it's a crap shoot. Mine has held up for almost fifty dyno pulls, but I may now have an issue with mine that I have to get checked out. Whatever it is I'll fix it one time and then if it starts to fail again the 700 is out of here. In your case with a power adder I wouldn't even consider a 700R4.