speedometer gears

Guest pyro

What's the stock size tailshaft speedometer gear in a 1971 th350 with 2.73 gears? This is the internal driven gear, not the externally removable drive gear. I'm doing some tranny work and would like to get my speedo going again. Went to a 3.42 a while ago and there is not an accurate speedo gear for this ratio with the stock tailhouse gear. I have figured on a 9 internal gear and a 23 speedo gear with a 27" tire. Advice?

According to TCI, I can go 8 drive and 20 driven, or 9 drive and 23 driven. The latter is a closer ratio according to my calculations, however, the 9 drive gear is not stocked by most places, but I'm sure I'll find one on the internet.

• 1 month later...

Okey dokey.........if you want prompt, reliable, educated information, don't go to TCI. Finally settled with PATC which eagerly gave me precise, informative, and accurate information for both speedometer gears and torque converters. TCI not only gave improper information (no 9 drive gear ever produced for a 71 TH350), but after 2 requests for a torque converter recommendation, I got nothing. PATC. I went with a 2000 converter and an 8-20 speedometer combo. Ya'll have a nice day now.

yeah TH350's didn't have 9's from the factory, but as I recall, the gears are the same fit for both the 350 and the 700r4, so you can do non stock combo's in the TH350.