Modulator Adjustment

Hey, I installed a new modulator on my 350 tranny (The car started shifting really late so I figured it was shot). The car shifts much better now but a touch late for my taste. The modulator I purchased is adjustable. In order to minimize the amount of times I will have to go under the car, does anyone know if you adjust for an earlier shift by turning counterclockwise or clockwise?

Thanks in advance

Turning the adjusting screw CCW will remove preload on the diaphragm and shifts will occurr at a lower mph / rpm.

Turning the adjusting screw CW will add more preload and cause the shift points to occurr at higher rpm / mph.

Start by making small changes in the direction you wish to go with.

The overall difference between the high and low range of adjustment will only be a few MPH so don't be looking for monster changes just adjusting the modulator.

On a non adjustable modulator it is sometimes possible to adjust them "down" by shimming the modulator where it enters the trans and "up" by using a slightly longer pin or rod.

Another thing I'de look into is detent cable adjusment, to get decent results.

Rod

fgmcc

Rod,

Thanks for the information. I want to lower the shift point a touch so I will go CCW a bit and I will also take a look at the kick down cable position.

John