speedometer drive gears

ejw71

I read, I think, on this site info about what speedometer gear to get (color coded/number of teeth) when changing rear end ratios. Maybe what I read was on what site to check out that has this information. Tks, Ed.

ed,back in the late 80s when i worked in the chevy dealer we used to have a color coded chart we matched up with what the customer told us his clor was.if i remember you would have to drive the car and figure out rougly how much you were off.one tooth was about 3-4m.p.h.i tried using that method at my local chevy dealer a few months ago and the parts guy thought i had 3 heads.i was able to match up my old gear and walk him though it. good luck gene

Ed, I went through this already. I went from a 2.56 gear to a 3.73. Beleive me it would be worth your while to take it to a seepo shop and have them do it for you. It would have cost me more to try to guess myself. I would have had to install a reduction box on the side of the tranny where the speedo gear is. The shop I went to checked the accuracy of my speedometer. They have all the correct gears for the reduction box and so on. They can put your speedo right on the money. Best cash I ever spent. Besides the site your refering to I tried to use the info and come to find out GM had raised the price of the reduction boxes. It just did'nt make sence for me to try it myself.

Jon.

My experience is similar to that of those above. The local Chevy dealer barely knew what I was talking about with a gear change. I ended up having mine corrected by the transmission shop when the tranny was rebuilt. He knew exactly what to do to get my speedo reading accurately again. I went from 2.73 to 3.73.

Here is THE site for speedo gear info Th350 and TH400:

http://members.core.com/~faldrich/speedo.htm

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO 5- Speed "FULMNTE"

86 Monte LS "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

01 Camaro V6

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

Sig.JPG

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"