502ci and your gear vendor

Reaper

Just curious if you can manually shift it through 6 gears or can you not shift through the 3 of the gear vendor? How does it work like that? You know what I mean.... this looks kinda confusing as Im typing it... smile Thanks, Tom

George Lines had the gear vendors unit in his Monte. I guess you have to massage the floorpan to make room for it, and he was having a blast shifting through all kinds of gears. I think the unit is really designed to be a fourth gear, but you can drive with it always ON or always OFF or any combination.

I'm curious too, as to how big a jump the OD makes...if you're in first gear and you turn ON the OD, is it like second gear? or does it feel like somewhere BETWEEN 1st &2nd?

This is hard to explain but here goes...

There is a control module that you mount under your dash or where ever you want.

There is a manual mode and auto mode.

In auto mode you drive your car in a normal or hard manner and the unit will shift into overdrive at about 45 mph just like a normal overdrive (all by itself).

As you slow down below 22mph or come to a complete stop the unit will come out of overdrive (all by itself).

So what I`m saying is in auto mode it`s like having a normal overdrive tranny.

In manual mode you can drive it normally and have the option of turning the overdrive on at any time by using a supplied foot switch (like the high beam switch you already have on your monte) or a switch on your shifter.

I leave mine in manual mode always and shift it into overdrive at 35 mph. It also can be taken out of overdrive at any speed by pressing the switch again.

Now if you want to start shifting between the gear shifts of your tranny you also leave the control module in manual mode.

And this is where it gets tricky lol

It is not suggested to shift the unit between 1st and 2nd gear when racing as the spacing of gears and shift time is very short (fast). They suggest that in the directions.

Okay your racing, you manually shift your auto tranny from from first to second when the shift light comes on and when your shift light comes on again you hit the overdrive button, now when the shift light comes on again you hit the button again as well as shift your automatic into third.

So at this point the overdrive is off and you are in normal third gear and technically you should not need to shift again through the traps, depending on your rear gear.

I`m gonna post this much info right now before my computer acts up again as deletes it on me.

I have more info though.

laugh

The gear vendors overdrive unit is .78 in overdrive.

A 700R4/4l60E is .70

The 4L80E is .75

So my TH400 tranny goes as follows...

1st----2.48

Over---1.93

2nd----1.48

Over---1.15

3rd----1.00

Over---.780

I had to dimple my tunnel also to get it up tight. I ended up removing the rubber pads on my crossmember where it sits on the frame to gain a 1/4 inch. It works fine , no vibration or bumping when going through the gears.

If you have not as steep of a gear as I have (4.11) you will benefit from this unit, as the gap between shifts can be shortened and not done so frantically, because you will have more time to think while you are doing it lol .

If you had a 2.73 gear you could probably manually shift between 1st and 2nd.

cool

Here`s a picture of the control module in my car, it can be seen on the left below the tach, it is mounted under the dash with double sided tape.

Also I put two lights on top of the steering wheel in the center. The one on the left will light up red when the overdrive is off and the one on the right is green and will come on (as the red one goes off) when the overdrive is on.

Helps alot when you are doing fast shifting.

wink

2197906_107_full.jpg

Very helpful smile Thanks!! smile I will deffinetly be going with one..... Seems like win/win.... I am gonna go with a 3.73 rear gear so I should get pretty good RPMS on the highway too.... cool Im loving that thing.... Can I get a loan from someone? smile