collar on driveshaft

ejw71

The driveshafts on my '71 350 & 454 Montes have a collar on the yoke. This collar, welded or pressed on, is located just before the u-joint. The measurements are: outer diameter 4", inner diameter 3 5/8" thickness 3/8" length 2 3/16". As the yoke slips unto the tailshaft the collar slips over the tailshaft housing. Inside the collar is a rubber ring that seats against the tailshaft housing. Does anyone else's 1st Gens have this type of driveshaft? Thanks, Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Project, Black, Chopped, LS1/700R4/12BOLT

[This message has been edited by ejw71 (edited 07-22-2002).]

My old driveshaft had one. Someone told me it is an additional balancer to reduce vibrations on the long Monte driveshaft. Had my shaft shortened when I swapped in the Manual tranny and now run without the "balancer", just as well. However, I just ordered a new driveshaft from www.dennysdriveshaft.com with very beefy 1350 u-joints, balanced up to 10,000 rpm...

Piece of mind... smile.gif

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO 5- Speed "FULMNTE"

86 Monte LS "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

Sig.gif

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

montesmile.jpg

My 70 with a sb 400 and th350 had that collar on it originally. After a very bad wheel hop experience and failed front universal, that driveshaft got replaced with a spare that I had off a 72. The 72 driveshaft did not have the collar. No problems with vibration before or after the swap. I seem to remember somebody telling me that it was a Saganaw driveshaft. Anybody else ever heard that one?

Does anyone remember if the collar was welded or pressed onto the yoke. Thanks, Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Custom Project, Black, Chopped, LS1/4L60E/12Bolt posi

It is part of the yoke and it is a dampner for the driveline. You will find these on astro vans and tahoe/suburbans and s-10s

but not on every one either. So they do still use them and they are available but I really don't see the need. Theres tons that are out there working fine without it so if the rubber in yours is bad or the yoke is wore out just switch to the other style for a lot less money