4L80 install

Reaper

Just wondering if anyone has done it yet or if Im gonna be the first here.... I tried to get it up in there earlier today but it just about fell on me so I quit for the day... Wish I had more room to work! smile Sucked, had to get it around my headers because its to wide and my headers were a pain to put on so I dont want to go through that again... Got it up there and tried to move it on the jack and down it came.. Nothing like a 175 pound tranny falling at you.. smile Oh well, tomorrows another day.. maybe I can get it in there without it falling on me tomorrow smile Wish me luck smile

Tom

Oh yeah... one reason I started this topic was to see if I should take any pics? Dont know how hard its really gonna be yet... Anyone else thinking about putting one in their car?

Oh by the way I bought a converter off of Carl Rossler, the trans shop I had do my tranny... Its got anti ballooning plates and everything... Got it for $200 bucks smile After buying the trans, having work done to it and going to a manual valve body and buying the converter I have $1000 bucks in the whole thing smile About what I would have had in redoing my 400 and buying a new converter since my other one got fried.. smile

Only bad thing is that I have to either shorten my driveshaft or get one made... So at most that will be another $350 or so.... Not to bad I guess... 4th gear and lock-up will be worth it on the trips to the track at least! smile

Tom

one thing I want to ask tho.. do you REALLLLY need the weight of a 4l80? why not a well built 700r4? or you running a big block?

Actually the 4L80 doesnt weigh as much as people think... The trans weighs about 30-40 pounds more than a TH400.... The STOCK converter weighs in at about 75 pounds but the after market one that I have weighs no more than 30....

Yes I am running a big block and plan to put a turbo to it eventually.....

I got very lucky the way I got my 4L80... I bought one off of ebay for $100 bucks that I was gonna have rebuilt. Then I found another one that was brand new and newer so it already had the 34 sprag, hardened shaft and can handle a lot of torque for $600. I took the 4L80 that I paid $100 for and my fried TH400 to the tranny shop and got $350 for them. Plus I still have 2 4L80 stock converters to sell, one of them is brand new. Instead of paying over $1000 for the stand alone computer I opted to go manual, Rossler transmission has a way to modify the valve body to make it manual without the computer or if I decide to I can later get the computer and hook it up. It worked out very well for me and Im happy smile

And honestly I picked the Th400 up and the 4L80 up and there isnt that much of a difference... The stock converter is VERY heavy though...

I will take a couple pics and post em.... smile

Tom

I wish I had a trans jack... things would be a lot easier smile And I wish my headers werent so hard to get in and out because Im leaving them in there because of that and because Im leaving them in there I have to work around them... sucks big time! Plus the linkage kept getting in the way and the E brake cables and the speedo cable... sucks doing stuff by your self sometimes... smile On a plus side I finally changed the axles but I didnt have the right tools and all the parts to change the gears so I am just sticking with the 3.31's for now... Might like them better anyway...

Tom

Wish I had a lift! smile working in the garage with about 1 1/2 feet of clearance smile Thanks for the offer but Id hate to get someone else hurt... smile Not a lot of room under there for 2 people... Wish I had a lift!!!!!!!!!!!! smile Oh well smile

I have done a few trannys of different sorts... shouldnt have a problem with this one... Although this is ranking up there with my 84 GMC that was lifted and I had to put a TH400 and 208 in it in the driveway in the middle of winter... smile

Tom

i have a floor jack tranny adapter i could bring to the party and you could borrow for as long as you need it.

i have a lift and never use it because i have a full size trans jack.

its a new ac delco adapter

let me know if you want it .

bob

Well I got the trans in finally smile There is really nothing to it that is different from any other trans install.... The only thing is that with this trans I had to alternate tightening the 4 bolts to the left and right... If I didnt the trans wouldnt come into the motor.. Took me a while to figure it out but I finally did smile For the cross member I just spun it around and moved it back as far as I could... still have to drill the holes and bolt up the converter and the linkage but other than that its all done smile If you were going to keep it electric you would have to bang on the floor a bit... I took a pic of that and will post it along with the cross member and a couple other finished pics... Now for the rear end to go back in and I can get a drive shaft measurement smile

Tom