More 700R4 swap questions

I have a line on a 700R4, good condition 70,000 mi, $100.00

I believe it's from a mid eighties 2wd truck. Are all the tail shafts the same on these or will it have to be switched ? I have read a few threads and it sounds like the later trannys are better. I am on a budget and can't afford to rebuild the trans at this time if I want to possibly drive the car in summer, so I would have to run it in stock form. With this being the case, what kind of power can it handle before it breaks. My engine (402)should be in the 450hp ballpark. Thanks

• 5 months later...

A stock 700r4 will not handle the horsepower you have. Actually your best bet is probably 200R4. I have attached a thread that has the info I passed along to DataDave. It also includes reasons I was told to avoid a 700R4 with a bigblock.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000304

Probably against recommendations from others, I have 700r4 in my monte. I do have a small block, and it is what I would call moderatly built motor. I did get a "stage 3" trans, and always use B&M Trick shift fluid. I have a 3,000 stall lock up convertor. It will stall up to about 2800. I also have a 4:56 rear end, so first gear happens very quick. However I like it to get that heavy car off the line. When this thing is running right, it takes off pretty hard. By no means is this some pro-street car, it's a respectable street car.

Putting the trans in was a snap. Did it in a 2 car garage on jack stands. If you are ever putting a trans in this environment, buy or borrow a motorcycle jack. Much easier than lifting a trans while laying on you back. I did get my drive shaft shortened and new U-joints installed. Also bought a urethane mount, but I did use my stock cross member. Just had to move it, and the holes where all ready there. All in all I'm happy with my current set up, if I could just get it running right. Big J