Speedometer off

my1st monte

Hey Todd,

Do you know if a rear gear change has been made to your Monte? If you put a lower gear( numerically higher number) it will throw your speedo off and make it read higher. You can change the drive and or the driven gear in your trans to correct the problem.

David

if it's 30 mph you definately have the wrong speedo gears in the trans. your best bet is to visit a trans shop smile

www.tciauto.com has a section on speedo gears and a calculator if you want to try it on your own.

that sounds like someone went from a 2.73 to at least a 3.73!

I went from 2.73's to 3.55's and my speedo reads about 23% fast.. so at 70mph, the needle is pointing @ 90

if it's 30 mph you definately have the wrong speedo gears in the trans. your best bet is to visit a trans shop smile

www.tciauto.com has a section on speedo gears and a calculator if you want to try it on your own.

that sounds like someone went from a 2.73 to at least a 3.73!

I went from 2.73's to 3.55's and my speedo reads about 23% fast.. so at 70mph, the needle is pointing @ 90

Truer words have not been spoken. I went from 2:73 to 3:73 on my 71. At 45 my speedo reads 63 now. But hey, I got pulled twice, and both times it turned into 30 minutes of conversation with the officers. I just quicky leaned to slow down abit.LOl,.

Yeah, you want to get that fixed quickly or your odometer is gonna rack up miles way faster than it should...I went from a 2.73 to a 4.11 gear and drove for several years before changing the simple worm gear in the tranny...I gotta have thousands of miles on my odometer that really don't exist... crazy

Bill